Return to AoE Main Page
- Agility [AGI] : The attribute that measures nimbleness.
- Attack : Actively attempting to inflict harm upon something with a physical or mystical effect.
- Attribute : A numerical representation of some facet of the characters inherent physical or mystical capability.
- Base Attack Skill [BAS] : Skill at combat that applies to all attacks.
- Base Defense Skill [BDS] : Skill at combat that applies to all defenses.
- Block [BLK] : The defense that defeats an attack by stopping it completely with your melee weapon, shield, or armor.
- Channel : The skill a druid uses to prepare a spell from ambient essence, without harming the balance of nature.
- Characteristic : Any of the characters skills, abilities, talents. Anything that measures or defines the character's capabilities.
- Cleansing : The ability of an arcane mage uses to remove entropy from a runestone by focusing essence into it.
- Constitution [CON] : The attribute that measures bodily health.
- Control : The skill an arcane mage uses to maintain control over the ambient essence he has gathered, so he can use it for his spellcasting.
- Critical : Succeeding extremely well at something. Most combat skills normally can critical when a natural 20 is rolled on a d20. General skills and Resistances normally can not critical.
- Defense : A defense which causes an attack to automatically miss.
- Hit : A hit which ignores DR, and may do CON or STA damage, depending on the defense. A critical hit vs a critical defense is a special case, see Combat section.
- Range [CR] : The range on the d20 that will result in a critical for a particular action.
- Cumulative Attack Penalty [CAP] : The first attack on your initiative is made without penalty. Each subsequent attack before the beginning of your next turn suffers a cumulative -1 penalty.
- Cumulative Defense Penalty [CDP] : The first defense on your initiative is made without penalty. Each subsequent defense before the beginning of your next turn suffers a cumulative -1 penalty.
- Damage [DAM] : The sum of the damage roll and any modifiers. DR is normally subtracted from DAM before it is applied as a wound.
- Damage Reduction [DR] : Subtracted from all weapon damage rolls before the damage is dealt to CON or STA. If an attack deals both CON and STA, the CON is reduced first. Ignored by a critical hit.
- Dead [DED] : When your CON drops below 0, you must make Will to Live checks. If you fail one of them by 10, you die.
- Defense : Used to defeat an attack so it does not hit.
- Defense Group Skill [DGS] : Skill in a defense class. Ranked 1 to 10 and increments at 150 for each class.
- Desperate Defense [DD] : The defense used when you can not (or choose not to) use a normal defense. Desperate Defense is equal to your Base Defense Skill plus your Armor's Block bonus. Desperate Defense is considered to be a Block for all effects.
- Dexterity [DEX] : The attribute that measures a character's manual dexterity.
- Disarmed : Weapon knocked out of hand. Roll 1d8. 1-6 weapon lands in adjacent hex, starting in the hex in front of you and counting clockwise. 7-8, weapon lands in your square.
- Dodge [DDG] : The defense that defeats an attack by avoiding it completely.
- Dying [DIE] : CON at or below 0.
- Entropy [ETP] : The black, twisted, disintegrating energy that taints ambient essence.
- Persistent : Entropy that is linked to a spell in effect. Cleansing the entropy ends the spell. Ending the spell turns the linked persistent entropy into residual.
- Residual : Entropy that is left when a spell is cast with ambient essence by an arcane caster.
- Essence : The mystical, magical energy that exists in every living thing.
- Ambient : The aura of magic that exists upon the surface of the world.
- Personal [ESS] : The attribute that measures a character's magical potential & resistance.
- Encumbrance : The extent to which your character is loaded down with things to carry. The more heavily encumbered, the slower and less agile you are.
- Exhausted [EXH] : Stamina at or below 0 and above [-1 x Con].
- Facets [FCT]: The number of undamaged resonating surfaces of a runestone.
- Faith [FTH] : The attribute that measures a character's devotion to their deity.
- Fatigued [FTG] : Stamina below Half and above 0.
- Focusing : Using a runestone when casting Arcane spells to prevent damage from the resulting Entropy.
- Fumbled Attack : An attack which automatically misses.
- Fumbled Defense : The attack automatically hits, and ignores DR.
- Gather [GTH] : The skill an arcane mage uses to collect ambient essence for his own personal use.
- Grapple [GPL] : Attacking or defending by wrestling with your opponent. Deal damage with fists, or Tiny weapons.
- Impurity [IMP] : Spots of corruption within a runestone. Add the impurity to the amount of entropy that a spell cast through the runestone generates.
- Incapacitated [INC] : Stamina at or below [-1 x Con] and above [-2 x Con].
- Increment : The progressive XP cost of a characteristic, written in italics. For example, a skill with an increment of 50 costs 50 for rank 1, 100 for rank 2, and so on.
- Injured [INJ] : Having taken CON damage, current CON below Half but above 0.
- Oblivious : During the first combat round of an Ambush, if you failed your Notice check by 10 or more, you are Oblivious. You may not take any actions during the first round, and the only defense you may use is the Desperate Defense.
- Overall Defense [OD] : Characters start with 2 Overall Defenses that can be used for any type of defense roll.
- Overwhelmed [OMG] : Once a character has used up all available overall defenses, they are overwhelmed. Once overwhelmed, characters must use Desperate Defense against further attacks.
- Parry [PRY] : The defense that defeats an attack by deflecting it with a melee weapon.
- Perception [PER] : The attribute that measures a characters perceptive abilities.
- Prone : On the ground. May stand up with one action, but provokes Reactionary Attacks.
- Rank : The level of skill a character has achieved in some characteristic, written in bold.
- Reactionary Attack [RA] : A free attack that takes no action to use, performed in response to another's actions. Reactionary attacks are provoked by compromising actions an enemy takes that leaves him open to attack.
- Ready : During any round of combat where you are completely aware of your opponents, you are Ready. Most combatants are Ready in the second round following an Ambush. You may take two actions, and may use any defense you choose.
- Reeling : Way off-balance. -1 modifier. Can regain balance with one action.
- Runestones : Mystical crystals much sought-after by mages and wizards. Used to filter entropy from ambient essence so it does not harm the spellcaster.
- Size : Has several meanings, depending on the context.
- Creature : Measures how large a creature is. Diminutive, Tiny, Small, Medium, Large, Huge, Gargantuan, Colossal.
- Runestone [SIZ] : Measures how large a runestone is, which limits the level of spell that can be cast through it. Ranges from 0 to 9.
- Weapon : Measures how large a weapon is. Tiny, Small, Medium, and Large.
- Strength [STR] : The attribute that measures a character's physical prowess.
- Stunned : Momentarily stunned. You may take no actions. You may only choose Desperate Defense as your defense.
- Surprised : During the first combat round of an Ambush, if you failed your Notice check by 1 to 9, you are Surprised. You may only take one action during the first round, and the only defense you may use before your initiative is Block. After the beginning of your initiative you are no longer surprised, and you may use any defense you choose, although you still only get 1 action.
- To Defend [TD] : The sum of all defense modifiers that is applied to the defense roll.
- To Hit [TH] : The sum of all attack modifiers that is applied to the attack roll.
- Unbalanced : Off balance. -1 modifier. Can regain balance with one action.
- Unconscious [UNC] : Stamina at or below [-2 x Con]. Damage normally inflicted goes directly to CON. Further stamina damage must be intentionally inflicted, or be the effect of a spell that is only capable of dealing Stamina damage.
- Weapon Group Skill [WGS] : Skill in a class of weapons. Ranked 1 to 10 and increments at 150 for each class.