Welcome to the Bioremediation Assignment mini wiki at Scratchpad!
You can use the box below to create new pages for this mini-wiki. Make sure you type
[[Category:Bioremediation Assignment]] on the page before you save it to make it part of the Bioremediation Assignment wiki (preload can be enabled to automate this task, by clicking this link and saving that page. Afterwards, you may need to purge this page, if you still see this message).
Student Research Project in Bioremediation
The current unit we are covering in Biotechnology is Bioremediation. For this assignment, students will be conducting investigations on one of eight topics in Bioremediation. Each group will consist of 3-4 members. It will be your job as a group to decide how to complete the various components of the project (this may include dividing up the tasks, working together for each one, having some members devoted only to analyzing and proof-reading, etc.).
Being that this is a research project, I expect to see material cited (along with external links) from other sources found from the internet. You may add anything to the project that you feel is relevant (links, pictures, your own thoughts, etc.). The length of each subtopic and number of required references are not set. If you are uncertain as to whether you are doing enough work, please contact me and I will look at what you have completed thus far. Please complete the pages thoroughly and neatly.
Click "Create an account" in the upper right-hand corner
Fill out the following pages with your group:
- Be Sure to Cite All Material With at Least a Webpage
- Definition of Bioremediation
- This is a GENERAL definition of bioremediation and is not unique to your individual topic.
- Explanation of the Problem
- Explain why JUST YOUR TOPIC is an environmental problem. Where do these environmental problems exist (is the entire world affected by this problem or just specific communities)? Is is more/less a problem now than it was before?
- How Bioremediation Solves the Problem
- Explain how bioremediation is used to solve JUST YOUR TOPIC. Explain the process in detail. What types of microbes are used in this type of bioremediation?
- Other Methods to Solve the Problem
- This area should cover JUST YOUR TOPIC. What other methods are there for solving this problem than bioremediation efforts? What are the advantages and disadvantages of using bioremediation vs. these other methods?
- These examples should cover JUST YOUR TOPIC. Explain in detail at least two real-world examples of when bioremediation was used to solve this environmental issue.
- Future of Bioremediation
- Most of this should be a GENERAL response for all aspects of bioremediation. Is bioremediation going to be used more/less/same in the future than it is now? Why/Why not? Do you think it should be used more/less/same? Do you think YOUR RESEARCHED AREA of bioremediation could be expanded on in the future?
Group A: Oil Spills (wiki page) Erika,Gabriella,Rich,Chris
Group B: Sewage Effluent (wiki page) Katie R,Tom,Jack,Andrew
Group C: Chlorinated Solvents (wiki page) Eddie
Group D: Pesticides (wiki page) Paul,Micah,Tiffany
Group E: Agricultural Chemicals (wiki page) Matt,Dylan,Harrison
Group F: Toxic Waste (wiki page) Tracy,Mike,Amanda,Anthony
Group G: Creosote Contaminants (wiki page) Katherine U,Conner,Nicole
Group H: Gasoline Contamination (wiki page)