Challenge Magazine was published monthly/bi-monthly by Games Designers' Workshop between 1986 and 1996, and produced 53 issues before the closure of GDW forced a halt to publication. The magazine itself began its numbering series with 25, allowing it to start where Journal of the Travellers' Aid Society had stopped (Issue 24). Challenge expanded GDW's support for its other roleplaying games, give some (such as Space:1889) a forum after the line has formally closed. The final issue published was number 77.
Space: 1889 articles in Challenge magazine
The following is a reference of the articles published in Challenge magazine, listing the issue the article appeared in, its author and a brief synopsis of its content.
Issues 30 to 39
Issue 34 (February 1988) - Issue 34 of Challenge was the first issue to contain Space: 1889 material. Aside from A Smoking Flax these articles cover material directly from the Space: 1889 rules.
- Cloudship Design by Frank Chadwick - Background material for the game.
- Ironclads and Ether Flyers: Designer's Notes by Frank Chadwick - Background material for the game.
- The Canals of Mars by Marc W. Miller - Background material for the game.
- The Ether by Marc W. Miller - Background material for the game.
- A Smoking Flax by Brad R. Hay & Lester W. Smith - A scenario for Sky Galleons of Mars.
- Note: There is also a center pullout with text from the Space: 1889 rules.
Issue 35 (April 1988)
- Victorian Times and Society by Howard Whitehouse - Additional background information of the Victorian Era.
Issue 36 (June 1988)
Issue 37 (August 1988)
Issue 38 (October 1988)
- A Journey to Oblivion by Timothy B. Brown - An adventure among the Hill Martian tribes.
Issue 39 (December 1988)
- Ether Ship Etiquette by Greg Novak - Additional background material for Space: 1889.
Issues 40 to 49
Issue 40 (February 1989)
- More Weapons by Bret A. Foland & Lester W. Smith - New equipment for Sky Galleons of Mars and Space: 1889.
- A Simple Conversion Guide for Flying Vessels by Stephan Lawrence - Converting the plastic miniatures from Sky Galleons of Mars into different ships.
Issue 41 (April 1989)
- Surprise at Clearwater by Bret A. Foland and Lester W. Smith - A scenario for Sky Galleons of Mars.
- The Puzzle of the Shard by Loren K. Wiseman - An adventure in the Martian polar regions.
Issue 42 (June 1989)
- The Biology of Liftwood by Marcus L. Rowland - Additional background material for the game.
Issue 43 (August 1989)
- Secrets of the Ancients by Lester W. Smith - An adventure on Mars at a canal pumping station.
- Ye Can Always Tell a Yankee But ye Canna Tell 'im Much by Loren K. Wiseman - Rules for creating American characters.
- Cthulhu:1889 by Marcus L. Rowland - Conversion rules for Space: 1889 to Call of Cthulhu.
Issue 44 (October 1989)
Issue 45 (December 1989)
- Mercury: The Nodding World by David S. F. Portee - A description of Mercury and an adventure on the planet.
Issue 46 (February 1990)
- The Tree of Souls by Eric W. Haddock - An adventure set on Mars.
Issue 47 (April 1990)
- Fist of Allah by Theodore J. Kocot & H. Michael Lybarger - An adventure in Egypt plus rules for creating French Foreign Legion characters.
Issue 48 (June 1990)
- Time Voyager by James L. Cambias - A time travel adventure in the far future.
Issue 49 (August 1990)
- Thymiamata:1889 by Neil V. Young - A description of Martian city-state Thymiamata, part 1.
Issues 50 to 59
Issue 50 (October 1990)
- Thymiamata: 1889 by Neil V. Young - A description of Martian city-state Thymiamata, part 2.
Issue 51 (December 1990)
- Thymiamata: 1889 by Neil V. Young - A description of Martian city-state Thymiamata, part 3.
Issue 52 (February 1991)
- Dwellers in the Dark by James L. Cambias - Adventures on the dark side of Mercury.
Issue 53 (April 1991)
- Noorlan Revolt by James L. Cambias - An adventure centered around a coup d'etat in a Martian city.
Issue 54 (June 1991)
- City of Death by James L. Cambias - An adventure covering death cultists in a ruined city. Note: This is one of Mr. Cambias' favorite titles.
Issue 55 (August 1991)
- Imprisoned in Noachis by James L. Cambias - A jailbreak in a Martian city.
Issue 56 (October 1991)
- Valley of the Hunters by James L. Cambias - An adventure set on Venus.
Issue 57 (December 1991)
- SubAfrican by W.G. Armintrout - A programmed solitaire adventure set in a submersible.
Issue 58 (February 1992)
- Dioscuria by James L. Cambias - A description of the Martian city-state Dioscuria.
Issue 59 (April 1992)
- Escape from Dioscuria by James L. Cambrias - An adventure based on Mars where the characters come to the rescue of a young Martian girl. Note: This adventure is based in the Martian city of Dioscuria, which is itself detailed in Issue 58.
Issues 60 to 69
Issue 60 (May 1992)
- Cult of Doom by James L. Cambias - An adventure where the players are seeking the cause of unrest in Gorovaan.
- Tom Fleet and his Steam Colossus by James L. Cambias - Rules for the creation of, and an adventure with, giant Steampunk robots.
Issue 62 (July 1992)
- Monastery of Tasharvan by James L. Cambrias - An adventure based on Mars where the characters join an expedition to the ruins of Tasharvan.
Issue 63 (August 1992)
- Magical Mystery Tour by James L. Cambrias - An adventure based on Mars where the characters are to escort The Great Wheldrake to a showdown with a local Hill Martian Shaman.
Issue 64 (September 1992)
- Krolik Run by Andy Slack - An adventure about stealing a herd of Martian rabbits!
Issue 65 (October 1992)
- Moon of Madness by James L. Cambrias - An adventure based on Phobos (a moon of Mars) where the characters are sent to rescue the downed Zeppelin Kaiserin Viktoria.
Issue 66 (November 1992)
- Secrets of the Lost City by James L. Cambrias - An adventure based on Earth where the characters travel to a lost city in the heart of the Amazon Basin.
Issue 67 (December 1992)
- To Rescue a Lady Fair by Craig Sheeley - An adventure based on Mars where the characters join a expedition to rescue Lady Alianni.
Issue 68 (1993)
- Science Marches On by James L. Cambias - New and coming inventions for Space: 1889.
Issue 69 (1993)
- Melas by James L. Cambrias - A Mars setting article for the Belgian run city of Melas. Details the history, events and current situation within the city, while also identifying some of its key locations. Note: This article is the location in which the adventure Treasure of Melas is set. This adventure appears in Issue 70.
Issues 70 to 77
Issue 70 (1993)
- Treasure of Melas by James L. Cambrias - An adventure based on Mars where the characters come to possess a poem, and a map of the Belgian run city of Melas. Note: This adventure is based in the Martian city of DMela, which is itself detail in Issue 69.
Issue 71 (1993)
- Secret of the Swamp by James L. Cambrias - An adventure based on Mars where the characters join Dr Clement Blogsworth and his expedition to the Mylomeroean Swamp in the northern extremes of British held territory. Note: The Mylomeroean Swamp is also the setting for the adventure The Lurker of the Moor found in the scenario supplement More Tales From the Ether.
Issue 72 (1994)
- Wreck of the Sloop John B. by J. B. Hill - An adventure to investigate a Martian ruin and meet Imperial Knoe Shoshu.
Issue 73 (1994)
- Playing Fields of Mars by James L. Cambrias - An adventure for child characters on Mars. This adventure also include brief rules on creating child characters.
Issue 74 (1994)
- Twenty Thousand Leagues Through Martian Skies by Terry Sophian - An adventure based on Mars, in which the characters face Captain Nemo (of Jules Verne fame) and his new juggernaut, the Quinixitis.
Issue 76 (1995)
- Mission to Shastapsh by James L. Cambrias - An adventure based on Mars where the characters are hired to stop the American privateer Nathan Derby Pickman.
Issue 77 (1995)
- City of Tomorrow by James L. Cambrias - An adventure based on Earth, in which the characters find themselves on the mysterious island of Technopolis.