Meeting the Darkness is the fifth chapter of Stygian Solace.
- Destiny Islands is attacked by the darkness.
- Riku receives the Keyblade.
- Riku and Kairi speak in front of the door.
- Ansem sends Riku to the paopu island.
Riku is sleeping on the play island when a horrible storm hits. When he goes to check on the raft, he sees that there is a huge ball of darkness hanging over the island, and he himself is suddenly swallowed by the darkness. A voice urges him to call "the key" to himself and to open the door, and the darkness around Riku dissipates.
Riku heads for the mysterious door in the secret place, which is now adorned with a large keyhole. When he is unable to figure out how to summon "the key", another voice calls for him to surrender to the darkness. Suddenly, Kairi arrives, looking for Sora, and the Heartless begin to manifest. A mysterious man explains the Heartless's arrival, calling Kairi a princess and speaking of "two strong hearts, and a pure heart". The darkness envelops Kairi, and the mysterious man sends Riku to the paopu island, where he waits for Sora.
- According to the author's note, this chapter has not been rewritten; therefore, it is shorter and of lower quality than the chapters which preceded it. Similar author's notes accompany every other chapter from the fourth chapter to the seventh chapter.