EcoBeaker by BioQuest
EcoBeaker by BioQuest is an interactive biology simulation for teaching and research. It covers the topics of evolutionary biology, environmental science and ecology.
Ideas for Innovation applications
- Students can learn about real life issues and use the simulations to see negative and positive effects and think of solutions to the issues i.e. the
- i.e. Students can learn about the issues related to the use of pesticides and work through the effects using the Biological Pest Control Simulation.
Ideas for Efficiency applications
- Students can learn about a topic and go through a couple of simulations to reinforce what they learned in one class period.
- Students can run through more case studies in a given time period and still have time to compare with other students.
Ideas for Community applications
- Students can work in groups through the differnt simulations.
- Students can do presentations about what they learned from the simulations.
- Students can debate real life issues using what they learn from the simulations
- i.e. In the Go Fish simulation, students have to decide on a strategy for fishing that maximizes their profits while minimizing extinction risks. Students would have to debate which strategy is best.
Disadvantages, pitfalls, or hazards
- Schools may not have the technology in the classroom to implement such a program.
- Prices of Simbiotic Software Packages are expensive
- i.e. $995.00 classroom license for all the labs, $1195 for schoolwide network license
- Dissection simulation