Portable Document Format (PDF)
This article is geared for physical science teachers. For a full write-up on PDF see this wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pdf
Description of technology
- an open standard file format, created by Adobe Systems. PDF documents maintain their layouts on different systems.
Ideas for Innovative Applications
- It maintains its formatting when moved from platform to platform.
- Each student sees exactly what the teacher intended them to see
- Since graphics and diagrams don't change a teacher can print out a document for a model or 3-D object that can be printed out and crafted together by the students in preparation for class to save time.
Ideas for Efficiency applications
- It avoids confusion because everyone has the same documents referred to, whereas in a webpage, when printed out people can have differently formatted documents.
Ideas for Community applications
- When discussing the Orgin of Species everyone in a discussion can refer to exact, specific lines in the book and making communication between those people easier.
Disadvantages, pitfalls, or hazards
- You need a program that reads PDF
- If you are on a computer with out a PDF reader, you cannnot open PDF documents
- Programs to edit PDF files can be expensive
- Printed PDF files are flammable and may cause paper cuts
- Other document types
- microsoft word documents
- open document format
- encapsulated postscript