Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Portable Document Format (PDF)
This article is geared for physical science teachers. For a full write-up on PDF see this wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pdf
Description of technology
- an open standard file format, created by Adobe Systems. PDF documents maintain their layouts on different systems.
Ideas for Innovative Applications
- It maintains its formatting when moved from platform to platform.
- Each student sees exactly what the teacher intended them to see
- Since graphics and diagrams don't change a teacher can print out a document for a model or 3-D object that can be printed out and crafted together by the students in preparation for class to save time.
Ideas for Efficiency applications
- It avoids confusion because everyone has the same documents referred to, whereas in a webpage, when printed out people can have differently formatted documents.
Ideas for Community applications
- When discussing the Orgin of Species everyone in a discussion can refer to exact, specific lines in the book and making communication between those people easier.
Disadvantages, pitfalls, or hazards
- You need a program that reads PDF
- If you are on a computer with out a PDF reader, you cannnot open PDF documents
- Programs to edit PDF files can be expensive
- Printed PDF files are flammable and may cause paper cuts
- Other document types
- microsoft word documents
- open document format
- encapsulated postscript