|Donald and Douglas|
|9 and 10, formerly 662 and 663, 17646 and 17647, and 57646 and 57647|
|Class||CR 812 0-6-0|
|Livery||CR blue (1909-1959), LMS black with red lining (1909-1959), BR black with red and white lining (1910-1959), NWR blue with red lining (since 1959)|
|Builder||St. Rollox Works|
|[[Click to Continue > by Deal Top| Affiliations]]||Good|
|Date of Birth||November 10, 1909 (age 108)|
|First Appearance||Hullo Twins!|
|Voice Actors||Joe Mills (UK/US, Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure onwards)|
David Tennant (All-New Shining Time Station series only)
Donald and Douglas (originally known by their numbers, 57646 and 57647, respectively) are Scottish tender engines.
Allies: Thomas, Edward, Henry, Gordon, James, Percy, Toby, Duck (best friend), Oliver, Emily (beautiful friend), Murdoch, Arthur, Molly, Roise, Lady, Stepney, Bill, Ben, BoCo, Mavis, Salty, Spencer, Stanley, Charlie, Hiro, Skarloey, Rheneas, Sir Handel, Peter Sam, Rusty, Duncan (best friend), Duke, Freddie, Mighty Mac, Luke, Bertram, Victor, Kevin, Paxton, Bash, Dash, Ferdinand, Dennis, Cranky, Elizabeth, Winston, Owen, Merrick, Connor, Caitlin, Stephen, Millie, Belle, Flynn, Whiff, Scruff, Billy, Hector, Mike, Rex, Bert, Jock, Frank
Enemies: Diesel, Diesel 10, Bulgy, George, Iron 'Arry, Iron Bert, D261, Daisy, Den (formerly), Dart (formerly), Norman (formerly), Sidney (formerly), Spencer (formerly), Splatter, Dodge, Spamcan, Old Stuck-Up, Troublesome Trucks, The Spiteful Break Van, Steam Engine
The Fat Controller originally only ordered one engine from Scotland, but was surprised when two arrived, neither with numbers or any distinguishing features - both engines were painted completely black. He could not tell which engine was which, and so decided to keep whichever one was the more useful. Unfortunately, Donald managed to demolish a signal box and Douglas destroyed a spiteful brake van by mistake Donald only cameoed in Steamy Sodor
However, the twins proved their worth to the railway in winter, when their experience and expertise with snow made them excellent snowplough engines. The other engines appealed to the Fat Controller in "The Deputation" and he decided to keep the both of them. In the Railway Series, they were painted blue shortly afterwards and given nameplates.
The twins are almost identical, and some episodes of the television series have depicted them as being inseparable (notably the episode 'Twin Trouble'). The reason for their both arriving on Sodor was that Donald was bought and saved from scrap, but Douglas was not and was due to be cut up (this fact is revealed in the story The Missing Coach). They could not bear the thought of one being saved and the other not so they decided to go to Sodor together and hope for the best. As their crews were also related, it was not difficult for them both to stay on the island. To allow the engines to be told apart, the Fat Controller ordered that numbers be painted on their tenders. Following an incident in which the engines swapped tenders, he decided that it would also be wise to give them nameplates on their boilers as well.
Donald and Douglas are popular among the other engines, not only for their versatility but also their practical and friendly demeanour. They enjoy a good joke, as exemplified when Duck's driver slipped a duck into Donald's tank, resulting in Donald gaining a new friend in Dilly the duck. They put their all into any job, no matter how difficult. And, because of their own brush with scrapping, they have the utmost sympathy for engines escaping the scrapyard. It was this sympathy that made Douglas assist Oliver and Toad in escaping to Sodor. In the Railway Series, Toad became his brake van following this incident.
The Twins are mainly used for goods work, but can be used for all sorts of jobs all over the railway. They are very much the "odd job engines" of the line. They carry out track repair, collect engines from the Works, rescue engines that have broken down or crashed and, of course, clear snow in the winter. The railway would not be the same without them. They are, in the Fat Controller's words, "Really Useful Engines".
They first appeared in the book The Twin Engines, published in 1960. Their first appearance in the television series was in Season 2. They appeared at regular intervals until Season 7, then were not seen again until Season 11, although they did get a mention in the Season 8 episode "You Can Do It, Toby!" and also appeared in a deleted scene in Season 8's "Edward the Great". In the second feature film Thomas' Big Adventures, Donald can be seen in flashback from "Breakvan" where Donald has an accident on a slippery railway and his tender bumps into a signal box.
Donald and Douglas are unusual among characters in the Railway Series, in that they speak in a strong Scots dialect. This can be difficult to understand at times (and indeed, Rev. W. Awdry received a number of letters complaining of this very problem). This is exemplified in their excuse for not carrying numbers: "They maun hae slyly slippit aff, sir!" (They must have slyly slipped off, sir).
The engines' Scottish heritage has been referenced in a number of stories. In the book Stepney the "Bluebell" Engine, Douglas mentions the song 'The Bluebells of Scotland'. While in Jock the New Engine, Douglas regards the unnamed engine's unusual colour (undercoat): "Some o' the engines up in the Highlands were yon colour. Jocks, we used to call them." He goes on to suggest that "Jock" might be a good choice, and so the title character gets his typically Scottish name, and is painted in the distinctive pale green livery of the Highland Railway. It should be noted that in "The Railway Series", Donald and Douglas were painted NWR blue when Sir Topham Hatt (the Fat Controller) decided to keep them; however, in the television series they remained black.
Donald and Douglas are based on the Caledonian Railway 812 Class. In the Railway Series, it is stated that one of them is number 57646 (though it is only revealed to the reader that this is in fact Donald, when Douglas has the alarming thought "I hope the Fat Controller disnae realise I shouldna be here"). None of the original 812 class carried this number — the joke being that in real life, the highest numbered was 57645.
The blue they carry in the Railway Series is significant, as blue was the colour most associated with the Caledonian Railway. In the book 'James and the Diesel Engines', Donald explains that while on the Caledonian Railway they were never painted blue, they always carried the black goods livery. Interestingly, the black that they used to carry (and indeed still do in the television series) is British Railways black with red and white lining, making them the only engines to carry a BR livery
Douglas on the Mid Hants Railway.
In 2000, the Mid Hants Railway in Hampshire converted a Hunslet Austerity 0-6-0ST class engine into a tender engine. This rebuilt locomotive poses as Douglas for special events, and is still in service for mixed-traffic work.
- Donald and Douglas' theme is their Season 2 theme.
Counterparts (Thomas Version) (Hero Version) (Male Version)
- Frank and Eddie - TUGS/Salty's Lighthouse
- Harry and Hamish - Chuggington
- Tex & Rex - Shining Time Station
- Heavy and Bomb - Sonic the Hedgehog
- Troff and Scoff - Super Mario Bros.
- Who the Dog and What the Dog - Garfield and Friends
- Rock Slag and Gravel Slag - Wacky Races
- Hubie and Bertie - Looney Tunes
- The Mime and Mr. Skullhead - Animaniacs
- Snake and Robot - Toy Story
- The Casino Brothers "Flute and Lobster" - 31 Minutes
- Tuck and Roll - A Bug's Life
- Saxophonist and Bassist - Harror the Robot
- Rocket & Pocket Brothers - Doki's Big Wonderland
- B1 & B2 - Bananas in Pyjamas/World of Doki
- Fred and George Weasley - Harry Potter
- Fox in Socks and Mr. Knox - Dr. Seuss/The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss
- Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy - SpongeBob SquarePants
- Dadure & Cilan or Huw & Dirk - Takua, Jaller & Hahli Productions
- Larry and Steve - Rugrats
- Toa Takanuva and Toa Lhikan - Bionicle
- Lenny and Carl - The Simpsons
- Vern and Johnny - Family Guy
- Jimmy Gourd & Jerry Gourd - VeggieTales
- Nigel - Finding Nemo
- Claus and Lucas - EarthBound/Mother
- Jimmy. T & Jimmy. P - WarioWare/WarioWare: Portfolio Cartoon
- Beldum and Magnemite - Pokemon
- Sword Knight and Blade Knight - Kirby
- Mason and Phil - Madagascar
- Lewis Hamilton and Jeff Gorvette - Cars 2
- Laurel and Hardy - Scooby Doo
- Phineas and Ferb - Phineas and Ferb
- Fanboy and Chum Chum - Fanboy and Chum Chum
- Ant 1 & Ant 2 - Titielenaders
- Numbuh 92 and Numbuh 93 - Codename: Kids Next Door
- The Mayor Bug - Pinocchio and the Emperor of the Night
- Gumball Guardians - Adventure Time
- The Bullethead Soilders - Nitrome
- Mr. Small and Mr. Nosey - Mr. Men
- Frank and Buster - The Koala Brothers
- Chuck and Leon - Rocko's Modern Life
- Dave and Ping-Pong - Camp Lazlo
- Root Beer Tapper - Wreck-it Ralph
- Flaps and Dizzy - The Jungle Book
- Snobbish Man & Splendid Man - The Show of the Mr. Men (Fan-Made Series)
- Terri Perry & Terry Perry - Monsters University
- Terrafin and Slam Bam - Skylanders
- Ki Adi Mundi and Kit Fisto - Star Wars
- Jagwar and Dreadmon - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Meeker and Snurd - Bobby's World
- Francis McReary and Derrick McReary - Grand Theft Auto IV
- Jerome and Jordan - Recess
- Harry and Larry - Jay Jay the Jet Plane
- Guard-Bees - Maya the Bee
- The Twins - Shaun the Sheep
- 'Arry and Bert - Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends
- Zebedee & Zak - TUGS
- Sea Rogue's Henchboats - Salty's Lighthouse, fan-made
- Oliver's Henchboats - Theodore Tugboat, fan-made
- Bull & Biff - Shining Time Station
- Teddy McNulty and Terry McNulty - Rugrats
- Nelson Muntz and Jimbo Jones or Kang and Kodos - The Simpsons
- Evil Stewie and Thaddeus Griffin - Family Guy
Counterparts (The Cleveland Show Version)
Counterparts (Female Version)
- Annie and Clarabel - Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends
- Petra and Pearl - Theodore Tugboat
- Sophie and Sadie - Salty's Lighthouse
- Kat & Ana - WarioWare: Portfolio Cartoon
- Patty and Selma - The Simpsons
- Nell and Lucy - Wreck-It Ralph
- Main article: Donald and Douglas the Scottish Twins/Gallery