Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This is a private wiki for E-learning lecture group 2. Also check out the discussion page.
Click on the link that says "edit" to edit this page. It's not hard to edit at all, but in case you need any help, see the Wikia Tutorial.
Make the final presentation script at E-learning group 2/Presentation. Meanwhile, this page could be used to develop the flow and the overview of the actual presentation.
Remember, this is a wiki. Go ahead and add/edit/delete what other person has already written, if you feel that it would improve the presentation.
Subgroup 1: Introduction
The Ubiquitous Policy
In June 2004, Japan starts to work on the U-Japan policy and has reached some cheerful results.
- 4 core ideas: Development of Ubiquitous network, Advanced usage of ICT(information communication technology), Upgrading Enabling Environment, and International and Technology strategies.
- Concrete goals: 100% population have high speed access to wireless network, 80% feel comfortable using ICT technology by the year of 2010.
- "21 priority issues" that ICT will serve, concerning social security, establishing e-commerse infrastructures, and penetrating information literacy.
Korea actively pushes the U-Korea vision in 2005 and its content is settled in March 2006. U-Korea vision aims to establish the ubiquitous society and the advanced Korea.「The FIRST u-society on the BEST u-Infrastructure」is announced by the Korea government to explain the domain covered by the U-Korea project.
- FIRST as 5 strategies: Friendly governemnt, Intelligent land, Regenerative economy, Secure and Safe social enviornment, and Tailored U-life service.
- BEST as 4 constructions: Balanced Global leadership, Ecological industrial infrastructure, and Transparant technological infrastructure.
- U-city with advanced IT technology and U-home with home-banking e-passport, and home-shopping.
Following the policy of e-Taiwan and M-Taiwan, U-Taiwan policy is raised in 2005. U-Taiwan policy intends to promote IT industries to create an ubiquitous environment.
- Enhanced Wireless sensor Network.
- RFID (Radio Frequency ID). It can distinguish and record personal ID applied in various machines and occasions. In addition. It will combine different guidiance and control systems together to secure lives and brings conveniences.
- TWAREN(TaiWan Advanced Research and Education Network). It aims to provide a high speed and better quality network inclusively for academic use, and its final goal is to promote international cooperation and shorten the distance between Taiwan and the global community.
related websites: Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (Japan)
Entre-pass: Personalising u-learning with Intelligent Agents
Gregory M. P. O’Hare, Bríd C. Doherty, Peter T. O’Hare, Michael J. O’Grady
School of Computer Science and Informatics,
UCD, Dublin, Ireland.
Ubiquitous Learning Anytime, Anywhere, Any media Learning User sets their own learning timetable Content adapts to user’s requirements Same learning quality no matter which device is used
@User Profiling On registration, explicit profile created Profiler Agent extracts this profile, places it in User Profile Database Subsequent interactions cause implicit refinement through Listener Agent-Profiler Agent interaction
- Benefits of User Profiling
More intuitive interactions Users feel system adapts to their requirements More comfortable user interactions Content is adapted to display and bandwidth restrictions
- Considerations with User Profiling
Profiling must not be obvious or intrusive Users may feel their privacy is being invaded by aggressive profiling Profiling must be performed in an intuitive and non-invasive manner
- Agent Factory
A cohesive framework for the development and deployment of agent applications (Collier et al, 2003) BDI (Belief-Desire-Intention) agent development Inter-agent Communication language, based on FIPA standards
- Agent Factory Features
Interpreted Agent Programming Language Agent Platform to support deployment of agents Lightweight agent implementation that can be deployed on PDAs Methodological support for agent fabrication
Modular Object-Oriented Dynamic Learning Environment Developed by Martin Dougiamas Open source ‘Social Constructionist Pedagogy’ Developed in PHP under a GPL license www.moodle.org
- Entre-pass Project
Pan-European Project Partners in Spain, Denmark, Hungary, Romania, Britain and Ireland Aim of our project is to increase the number of people undertaking entrepreneurial training by increasing the visibility, accessibility and transferability of such courses and qualifications
- Entre-Pass Project
Entrepreneurial qualification development Development of an on-line training course, undertaken in an enveloping internet hosted training environment, adapted to the needs of those contemplating starting up their own business. Successful completion of this course will lead to the award of the “European Certificate in Entrepreneurship.”
- Entre-pass Project Output
Online u-learning system Personalised Content Presentation Electronic Record of Training Achievements Multi-language courseware: Danish, Spanish, Hungarian, Romanian, English
Quizzes are used for Assessment
- The Entre-Pass System
Combination of Moodle and Agent Factory Multi-Agent System constructed in Agent Factory
- Entre-Pass Multi-Agent System
Listener Agent Detects user interactions Passes results of these actions to Profiler Agent e.g. Detects username and password on login
- Entre-Pass Multi-Agent System
Profiler Agent Maintains, updates and analyses the user profile in a database Extracts Profile from Moodle Database, stores it in User Profile Database Assesses the user’s requirements Communicates these requirements to other Agents e.g. Detects required language and notifies Content Management Agent
- Entre-Pass Multi-Agent System
Content Management Agent Controls Content Requirements are passed from Profiler Agent Content is then selected from Content Database according to this content e.g. If a user performs badly in an assignment, the preceding content is re-displayed for revision
- Entre-Pass Multi-Agent System
Presentation Agent Adjusts display for differing screen real-estate of PC and PDA Applies different css (cascading style sheet) to content display
Web-based system (www.entre-pass.com/)
Online Feedback Form used
- Feedback Analysis
Online Form used Relevance of Materials & Videos: 51% relevant, 38% neutral, 11% irrelevant Videos too large for dial-up or PDA viewing Navigation: 76% found it Intuitive or Very Intuitive
Application of intelligent agents allows for greater profiling capabilities Courseware tailored to user requirements Both implicit and explicit profiling used Positive Feedback for the system
Subgroup 2: Dream Device
The midterm presentation
- Our idea is try to imagine a dream device in order to describe how people will learn in the u-society.
- The website can help us understand more what the functions of dream devices are. Examples of ICT Usage in u-Japan Society:http://www.soumu.go.jp/menu_02/ict/u-japan_en/j_r-menu_u.html
About the dream device,I thought maybe we can think from a simple pattern. Just like the midterm videos showing the magical device, we can imagine a device which can help learning, including language, culture, cooking and etc. It can also have other functions like alarm clock, watch, GPS and so on. So, I make an imagination what functions of the device have.
- Appearance: like a watch, we can wear it on a wrist, the screen can enlarge on the air.
- Language learning:
1.Choose language: The device has many kinds of languages, and it can also connect to the country where you want to learn its local language, so you can learn many languages through the device.
2.Choose teacher: You can choose which teacher you like. For example, if you would like to learning Japanese, you can choose "Kuraki Mai" (a woman star) to be your teacher. If you want to learn English, then you can choose "Bush." You can also choose cartoon character like Conan or Doraemon. The teacher's face will appear on the screen. The functions can make you learn pleasantly.
3.Choose course: There are many articles and courses, and you can use the functions of listening, speaking, reading, writing, grammar, spelling, and vocabulary to improve your language ability. The design of the course is similar to TOEFL learning software. Beside, if you require real person to explain for you, you can connect to the Internet and there are many teachers who can help you. http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/words/grammar/
4.Translate: When people speak a language which you don't understand, you can open the function and it will translate soon for you. The language you listen will be your first language. You can also change the language which you understand into the language you want to practice. By the way, you can learn form conversation.
5.Record: The device can record what you learn today. It is convenient for your review. For example, it can record what language you learn, how effects you gain and the dialogic contents. In particular, using those records, you can review what you learn during sleeping.
- Culture learning: Because the device can connect to other countries and real persons, it can also provide their culture information. You can truly feel that you are in other country, interacting with local residents and learning their culture.
- Cooking learning: If you want to cook delicious dishes, but you don't know how to do, the device will teach you! When you are in the kitchen, it will tell you the steps. It can identify whether your steps are right or not, and make corrections and suggestions. So, follow the instructions that the device gives, and you can simply finish a delectable dish.
- Learning in a sleep: The functions are so magical! Before you go to bed, you can open the device. When you feel asleep, the device will release a frequency which is as the same as your brain wave, so it's safe and doesn't influence your sleep quality. Then the device will help you review what you learn today by extracting the record. By the way, your memory can maintain in a good condition, and can continuously learn when you sleep.
Subgroup 3: Social Effects
Stuff covered in the midterm presentation :
- reducing regional discrepancies (e.g. Australia)
- accelerated and alternative education (can match the pace of individual learners)
- life-long learning
- independent, active learner/new teaching skills
- effective education system in the future
- acceleration of homeschooling
- About 50 percent of parents who homeschool their children do so because they think that they can provide better education at home. U-learning devices would push this even further, so homeschooled children might increase.
- less importance for traditional schools. less interaction with other children.
- might cause more difference between students.
- You can learn anywhere, but instructors aren't present anywhere. Nobody forces learners to learn outside the school. Requires motivation among each learners. This might make students who aren't interested in studying drop out.