This would be the page for creating our final presentation script. On this page, basically write what you're planning to present in the final presentation. So what you're going to write here would be something that would convey your points to the listners.
It doesn't have to be a perfect script at start, but we can gradually make it into a complete presentation script.
Write up the presentation by 1/7 night. Meanwhile, you can use the main page to develop the flow and the outline of the script on this page.
As of 1/7 23:00, this presentation script took more than twelve minutes when I read it out loud. (And that was at a fairly fast speed.) Maybe we can cut some contents? --Asahiko
The following is the script for the presentation.
U-learning, or ubiquitous learning has the following characteristics.
Anytime, Anywhere, Any media
Provide the most efficient learning environment by detecting the user's position, learning situation, information, and requirements.
E-learning --> M-learning --> U-learning
The availability of handheld, networked devices, such as Pocket PCs, enables their use both in the development of mobile learning environments (m-learning) and in the ntegration m-learning into e-learning environments to form ubiquitous learning environments (u-learning).
Problems and limitations
1.How do students access a flexible learning environment when the methods of access are restricted to a desktop computer? A:more portable devices, such as personal digital assistants (PDAs)
2.Not all features of a desktop web site can be replicated for mobile web browsers.
Adaptive learning with ULE
Adaptive learning is based on the idea of adapting learning methodologies to students' learning styles.
The concept is that an individualised method of teaching will help students learn at a faster pace, more effectively, and with greater understanding.
Some elements of adaptive learning may include:
- 1. monitoring student activity
- 2. interpreting the result
- 3. understanding student's requirements and preferences
- 4. using the newly gained information to facilitate the learning process =>able to provide *specific* and *personalized* knowledge when required.
Ubiquitous learning environment (ULE)
- 1. Students can become totally immersed in the learning process. They may not even be conscious of the learning process. Source data is present in the embedded objects. Students don't have to DO anything to learn. They just have to BE there in ULE.
- 2. It provides props and stimuli needed to easily encourage student involvement but without needing the active attention of the student.
- 3. U-learning's many-to-one relationship allows an ULE to service an unlimited number of individuals at once.
- 4. It allows students to intuitively interpret their surroundings and construct their own knowledge ==> Students can retain the information within their own knowledge base. Ex. Instead of being told that "a seed will sprout in soil and not in rocks" is true, students can understand *why* and *how* it happens.
The development of a ubiquitous learning environment (ULE) combines the advantages of an adaptive learning environment with the benefits of ubiquitous computing and the flexibility of mobile devices. Students have the freedom to learn within a learning environment which offers adaptability to their individual needs.
In order to practice the ubiquitous spirit not only in learning but in developing economics and social welfare, Japan, Korea and Taiwan government all issue their u-policies roughly since 2004. They mainly focus on the enhanced wireless sensor network, ICT and ICT development, RFID (Radio Frequency ID), and upgraded enabling environment. Creating U-school, U-home, and U-city are some ideal stages in these policies.
- Goal:100% population have access to wireless network with 80% comfortablely using ICT technology by 2010.
- Goal: establish U-city with advanced IT and U-home with home-banking e-passport, and home-shopping.
- Goal: create an ubiquitous environment with IT technology applied in life.
Subgroup 2: Dream Device
In order to describe how people will learn in the u-society, we imagined up our dream device for use in u-learning. A website can help us understand more what the functions of dream devices are. Examples of ICT Usage in u-Japan Society: http://www.soumu.go.jp/menu_02/ict/u-japan_en/j_r-menu_u.html
The device will help us learn various things, including language, culture, cooking, etc. It can also have other functions like alarm clock, watch, GPS and so on.
- One type is like the watch, it is already put to practical use. It is very light, so you can put it on in the body and progress, it is enough to recording voice, taking picture, and check your schedule. But, because of its size, it is difficult to equip with large screen, so it is not suitable for learning and complicated work. In some Cinemas, it appears floating display; it is difficult to come true.
- The other type is like a note pad, it is also already realized, and it called PDA. You can pen input, pen input is very useful for character learning, in particular, Chinese character learning, teacher can check student's order to write, not only figure, it is superior to notebook, in Japan, some elementary school uses UMPC(Ultra-Mobile PC) for learning Chinese character.
- And.... another type is an ultimate form, wearable computer. It has Head Mounted Display (HMD), and you have large amount of information, it is under development now.
1.Choose language: The device has many kinds of languages, and it can also connect to the country where you want to learn its local language, so you can learn many languages through the device.
2.Choose teacher: You can choose which teacher you like. For example, if you would like to learning Japanese, you can choose "Kuraki Mai" (a woman star) to be your teacher. If you want to learn English, then you can choose "Bush." You can also choose cartoon character like Conan or Doraemon. The teacher's face will appear on the screen. The functions can make you learn pleasantly.
3.Choose course: There are many articles and courses, and you can use the functions of listening, speaking, reading, writing, grammar, spelling, and vocabulary to improve your language ability. The design of the course is similar to TOEFL learning software. Beside, if you require real person to explain for you, you can connect to the Internet and there are many teachers who can help you. http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/words/grammar/
4.Translate: When people speak a language which you don't understand, you can open the function and it will translate soon for you. The language you listen will be your first language. You can also change the language which you understand into the language you want to practice. By the way, you can learn form conversation.
5.Record: The device can record what you learn today. It is convenient for your review. For example, it can record what language you learn, how effects you gain and the dialogic contents. In particular, using those records, you can review what you learn during sleeping.
- Culture learning: Because the device can connect to other countries and real persons, it can also provide their culture information. You can truly feel that you are in other country, interacting with local residents and learning their culture.
- Cooking learning(adaptive learning): If you want to cook delicious dishes, but you don't know how to do, the device will teach you! When you are in the kitchen, it will tell you the steps. It can identify whether your steps are right or not, and make corrections and suggestions. So, follow the instructions that the device gives, and you can simply finish a delectable dish.
- Learning in a sleep(learning anytime): The functions are so magical! Before you go to bed, you can open the device. When you feel asleep, the device will release a frequency which is as the same as your brain wave, so it's safe and doesn't influence your sleep quality. Then the device will help you review what you learn today by extracting the record. By the way, your memory can maintain in a good condition, and can continuously learn when you sleep.
Social Effects Evaluation
Finally keeping our dream device in mind, we evaluated the effects u-learning will have on the society.
A change in the roles of schools
U-learning technologies, by definition, releases learning from schools. The role of the school would be greatly affected. A ubiquitous device, like the watch-shaped one we showed you earlier, can be used anywhere, anytime. Which means, learning does not have to take place in schools anymore.
However, schools have been a place for children's interaction and communication with each other. U-learning might weaken this, and problems might arise. On the other hand, a network-capable u-learning device would allow communication around the world, some of which we are already experiencing.
In relation to the school-free nature of u-learning technologies, u-learning opens up education to areas outside traditional education. For example, they can be used to learn cooking, along with many other cultural education. Since the device can be used anytime anywhere, the user does not have to be a student. Therefore, it would help greatly to adults in "life-long learning".
Remove regional barriers
U-learning devices must be small, and must be able to carry anywhere. This characteristic allows the device to be used in a remote environment, for example, areas sparcely populated. It will reduce discrepancies in educational levels between urban and rural areas.
Motivate users to learn
U-learning devices can adapt itself to each learner's preferences. One example of this can be seen in the device we showed earlier: choosing a teacher you like. Functions like this would make learning a fun experience and would motivate users to learn more.
A u-learning device could record the learner's progress and achievements, and based on that record, it can adapt its content to suit the learner. The context awareness of u-learning devices would allow each learners to study at their own pace. This might solve the problems in traditional teaching methods that arise from differences in each learner's achievements.
Ubiquitous technologies provide us a whole new approach to learning. U-learning is not without problems, but it will open up new possibilities. For a better environment in the future, what we could do is get to know u-learning better. We think we understood the general idea of u-learning through this project, and we hope you did too.