Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Performing an EX series switch software upgrade
New software needs to be added to /var/tmp on the switch. FTP is the recommended method for getting the file put on the switch.
- You can temporarily enable FTP on the switch to upload your code to /var/tmp
|email@example.com> set system services ftp|
331 User name ok, need password
230 User logged in
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
Local directory now /var/home/backdoor
ftp> lcd /var/tmp
Local directory now /var/tmp
ftp> get jinstall-ex-9.2R2.15-domestic-signed.tgz
local: jinstall-ex-9.2R2.15-domestic-signed.tgz remote: jinstall-ex-9.2R2.15-domestic-signed.tgz
200 PORT command successful.
150 File status OK ; about to open data connection
100% 95342 KB 00:00 ETA
226 Closing data connection; File transfer successful.
97630239 bytes received in 23.27 seconds (4.00 MB/s)
- Perform the system software upgrade:
|firstname.lastname@example.org> request system software add /var/tmp/jinstall-ex-9.2R2.15-domestic-signed.tgz reboot|
The system will take around 4 minutes to do a complete reboot and VC software upgrade if you’re in a Virtual Chassis
You can also mount a USB drive and upgrade software from the USB:
From the cli start the shell
- create a directory called /mnt/usb
- inserted the 1gig USB (fat32) with JUNOS 9.XR on it example: (jinstall-ex-9.2R2.15-domestic-signed.tgz)
- mount the usb drive with the following command "mount -t msdosfs /dev/da1s1 /mnt/usb"
- changed over to /mnt/usb and copied the jinstall file to /var/tmp
- started the cli and ran the software upgrade