Performing an EX series switch software upgrade
New software needs to be added to /var/tmp on the switch. FTP is the recommended method for getting the file put on the switch.
- You can temporarily enable FTP on the switch to upload your code to /var/tmp
|firstname.lastname@example.org> set system services ftp|
331 User name ok, need password
230 User logged in
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
Local directory now /var/home/backdoor
ftp> lcd /var/tmp
Local directory now /var/tmp
ftp> get jinstall-ex-9.2R2.15-domestic-signed.tgz
local: jinstall-ex-9.2R2.15-domestic-signed.tgz remote: jinstall-ex-9.2R2.15-domestic-signed.tgz
200 PORT command successful.
150 File status OK ; about to open data connection
100% 95342 KB 00:00 ETA
226 Closing data connection; File transfer successful.
97630239 bytes received in 23.27 seconds (4.00 MB/s)
- Perform the system software upgrade:
|email@example.com> request system software add /var/tmp/jinstall-ex-9.2R2.15-domestic-signed.tgz reboot|
The system will take around 4 minutes to do a complete reboot and VC software upgrade if you’re in a Virtual Chassis
You can also mount a USB drive and upgrade software from the USB:
From the cli start the shell
- create a directory called /mnt/usb
- inserted the 1gig USB (fat32) with JUNOS 9.XR on it example: (jinstall-ex-9.2R2.15-domestic-signed.tgz)
- mount the usb drive with the following command "mount -t msdosfs /dev/da1s1 /mnt/usb"
- changed over to /mnt/usb and copied the jinstall file to /var/tmp
- started the cli and ran the software upgrade