Welcome to the Enlightenment mini wiki at Scratchpad!
You can use the box below to create new pages for this mini-wiki. Make sure you type
[[Category:Enlightenment]] on the page before you save it to make it part of the Enlightenment wiki (preload can be enabled to automate this task, by clicking this link and saving that page. Afterwards, you may need to purge this page, if you still see this message).
This ScratchPad Wiki is an exploratory project to test if a full Wiki on this topic is feasible. its focus is on Spritual Enlightenment and related themes.
For the time being, as this Wiki takes form, please do not make structural changes (adding or removing headings, etc. Bring the issue up in the Discussion section. When a need is established and supported by the Enlightenment user community, the moderator will make the changes.
- Meaning of life
- Self knowledge
Attributes, Quotes and "Definitions"
- Enlightenment is that state of being so mature and unshakable by any circumstance. Come what may, nothing can rob the smile from your heart. Not identifying with limited boundaries and feeling "all that exists in this universe belongs to me," this is enlightenment.
- Enlightenment is the very core of our being; going into the core of our self and living our life from there. We all came into this world gifted with innocence, but gradually, as we became more intelligent, we lost our innocence. We were born with silence, and as we grew up, we lost the silence and were filled with words. We lived in our hearts, and as time passed, we moved into our heads. Now the reversal of this journey is enlightenment.
- “Knowing others is wisdom; Knowing the self is enlightenment; Mastering others requires force; Mastering the self needs strength” --- Lao Tzu quotes (Chinese taoist Philosopher, founder of Taoism, wrote "Tao Te Ching" (also "The Book of the Way"). 600 BC-531 BC)
- “There are many paths to enlightenment. Be sure to take one with a heart.”--- Anand_Singh
- “There is no enlightenment outside of daily life.” ---
Thich Nhat Hanh quotes (Vietnamese Monk, Activist and Writer. b.1926)
“Enlightenment is not imagining figures of light but making the darkness conscious.” --- Carl Gustav Jung quotes (Swiss psychiatrist, Psychologist and Founder of the Analytic Psychology, 1875-1961)
“In tribulation immediately draw near to God with confidence, and you will receive strength, enlightenment, and instruction.” --- St. John of the Cross quotes (Christian mystic and poet, 1542-1591)
“If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose” --- Jack Handy quotes (American Writer and cast member of Saturday Night Live from 1991-2003.
“Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is enlightenment.” Lao Tzu quotes (Chinese taoist Philosopher, founder of Taoism, wrote "Tao Te Ching" (also "The Book of the Way"). 600 BC-531 BC)
“If I could define enlightenment briefly I would say it is the quiet acceptance of what is.” Wayne Dyer quotes (American motivational Speaker and Author of self-help best selling books. b.1940)
“Because not even the least dharma is there found or got at. Therefore is it called `utmost, right and perfect enlightenment'. Self-identical is that dharma and nothing is therein at variance. Therefore is it called `utmost, right and perfect enlightenment” Buddha quotes (Hindu Prince Gautama Siddharta, the founder of Buddhism, 563-483 B.C.) “After enlightenment, the laundry.” Zen Proverb quotes
“Do not think you will necessarily be aware of your own enlightenment.” Dogen quotes (Japanese Buddhist monk and philosopher 1200-1253)
“Nirvana or lasting enlightenment or true spiritual growth can be achieved only through persistent exercise of real love.” M. Scott Peck quotes (American psychiatrist and Author, 1936-2005)
“The real meaning of enlightenment is to gaze with undimmed eyes on all darkness.” Nikos Kazantzakis quotes (Greek Writer whose work represents a major contribution to modern Greek literature, 1885-1957)
“Unity is divinity; purity is enlightenment.” Sri Sathya Sai Baba quotes (Indian Spiritual leader, b.1926)
“ Up to now, nobody has said, that there is anything beyond enlightenment. That's why I say, I am a milestone.” Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh quotes (Indian Spiritual leader, 1931-1990)
“Enlightenment will be now the beginning, not the end. Beginning of a non-ending process in all dimensions of richness. ” Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh quotes (Indian Spiritual leader, 1931-1990)
“The genius of Man in our time has gone into jet-propulsion, atom-splitting, penicillin-curing, etc. There is none over for works of imagination; of spiritual insight or mystical enlightenment. I asked for bread and was given a tranquilizer. It is important to recognize that in our time man has not written one word, thought one thought, put two notes or two bricks together, splashed color on to canvas or concrete into space, in a manner which will be of any conceivable imaginative interest to posterity.” Malcolm Muggeridge quotes
View from Various Spiritual Traditions
- Beatific vision
- List of Buddhist Teachers
- Yogic Enlightenment
Commonalities, Differences and Diversity
States or Stages
Signs: Internal, External
Group and Social Enlightenment / Collective Consciousness
What Becomes Enlightened
Interpretation of Experience
Personal Accounts of Enlightenment
Opinion and Discussion about Enlightenment Experiences
Practices and Methods
- Samatha meditation
- Passage meditation
- Buddhist meditation types
Neo-Advatic / Satsang
Chanting and Singing
Physical / Bodily
Western vs. Eastern
Herbs, Rasayanas, "Soma"
Striving vs Non-Striving
Traditions / Schools of Practice
Traditional Literature on Enlightenment
Past Exponents and Teachers
Payment / Service
Traditions and Lineages