Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute of Engineering Sciences and Technology - GIKI is one of the premier institutes of higher learning in Pakistan.
The GIK Institute is a non-governmental, non-profit institute. Named after former President Ghulam Ishaq Khan, it is one of the best engineering universities in Pakistan. Ghulam Ishaq Khan wanted to establish an institute which would reduce Pakistan's dependence on foreign expertise and imported technology. The genesis of the Institute can be traced back to the early 1950's. The Institute was registered in June, 1988 by its parent body, namely, Society for the Promotion of Engineering Sciences and Technology in Pakistan (SOPREST). Ghulam Ishaq Khan, then the President of the country, was elected the president of the Society for life and Mr. H. U. Beg was appointed its honorary Executive Director. The ordinance of the Institute was promulgated by the Frontier Government in March 1993 and the first batch of students was inducted the same year in October.
Major founding donors include Benevolent Community Care, Infaq Foundation, Chiniot Anjuman-e-Islamia, Dawood Group of Industries, and the Government of the North-West Frontier Province which has donated land at Topi.
GIK Institute offers undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in six disciplines:
- Electronic Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgy|Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- Computer Systems Engineering
- Software engineering
- Engineering Sciences
There are two kinds of societies in GIKI:
- Professional Societies
- Each faculty in the institute supports a professional organization, devoted to advancing theory and practice of their respective fields.
- Non-Professional Societies
- These societies are created for non-technical purposes and do not represent any particular faculty.
List of societies:
- ACM - Association for Computing Machinery
- Adventure Club
- AIAA – American Institute of Aeronautics & Astronautics
- ASM/TMS – The Mineral, Metal & Material Society/American Society for Materials
- ASME – American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- CDES – Cultural Dramatics & Entertainment Society
- GEAS - GIKI Environmental & Awareness Society
- GSS - GIKI Sports Society
- Horizon Publication Society
- IEE - GIKI Chapter
- IEEE - GIKI Chapter
- LDS - Literary & Debating Society
- Media Club
- NAQSH Arts Society
- Project Topi
- Science Society
- SOPHEP - Society for the Promotion of Higher Education Pakistan
- SPIE – Society for Photo-optical Instrumentation Engineers
- WES - Women Engineers Society
GIKI Web Development team
The GIKI website is maintained by a group of undergraduate students called the webteam.