Post/View answers here: Chapter 10 Answers
Beginning of chapter up to "Representative Cities" (pp. 373-383).
1. Compare and contrast the sacred city with the market city in pre-colonial Southeast Asia.
2. Where was the earliest city in Southeast Asia? When did it exist?
3. Compared to other world regions, how urbanized was Southeast Asia when European colonialism began?
4. Identify the areas of Southeast Asia that came under the control of various European colonial powers (Portuguese, Spanish, Dutch, British, French).
5. Describe the main impacts of colonialism in Southeast Asia.
Box 10.2 "Thirsty Singapore" (p. 388).
6. Describe Singapore's water problem.
"Components of Urbanization in Southeast Asia" (pp. 400-403).
7. What do your authors identify as the five processes leading to urban growth in Southeast Asia?
8. Why is internal migration in Southeast Asia increasingly dominated by female migrants?
9. What is meant by "circular migration" in Southeast Asia? Why does this happen?
"Models of the Southeast Asian City" (pp. 403-406).
10. What are "extended metropolitan regions"(EMRs)? Describe the three different types ofEMR and give an example of each type.
11. Explain the term "desakota."
"Problems of Urban Areas" (pp. 406-408).
12. What are the main problems faced by Southeast Asian Cities? How are these problems the same as, or different from, the problems faced by cities in other regions of the less developed world?
"Decentralization Policies and Urban Planning" (pp. 408-409).
13. Why are some Southeast Asian countries adopting decentralization policies?
"An Eye to the Future" (pp. 409-410).
14. What do your authors identify as the three themes for the future of Southeast Asian cities?