Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Post/View answers here: Chapter 9 Answers
Beginning of chapter up to "Evolution of Cities" (pp.331-334).
1. Briefly describe the three basic types of cities in South Asia: traditional, colonial, and planned. "Evolution of Cities" (pp. 334-339).
2. Where were the first cities in South Asia. When did they exist?
3. What was the main location of urban development during the Aryan Hindu impact?
4. Identify and describe the four main groups associated with the caste system.
5. Describe the residential patterns associated with caste in early Aryan Hindu cities such as Pataliputra (Pathalpiputra).
6. Describe the main features of the Dravidian temple city.
7. When did significant Muslim influence begin in South Asia? What architectural features are associated with this influence?
8. What were the main centers of operation for British interests in South Asia? 9. Describe the functions of India's presidency towns.
"Models of South Asian City Structure" (pp. 340-349).
10. Why were the first colonial cities of South Asia in coastal locations?
11. Describe the ethnic/social segregation that existed in colonial cities.
12. Why was the capital of British India eventually moved to the inland location of Delhi?
13. What were "cantonments" and "hill stations?"
14. In what way is the bazaar-based city in South Asia an expression of the inverse concentric zone model?
15. Describe the ethnic/social residential segregation that exists in bazaar based cities.
16. Did planned cities exist in India before the 20th century?
17. Know the general characteristics of the "Bazaar City," "Colonial City," and "Planned City" as described in Table 9.1 on page 348.
Box 9.2 "Cinema and the City: Mumbai's Film Industry" (p. 353).
18. What is "Bollywood?"
"Urban Problems and Solutions" up to "New Towns" (pp. 364-368).
19. Describe the nature and magnitude of the slum problem in South Asia.
20. What efforts have been made to combat this problem?
Box 9.3 "Bangalore and Hyderabad: Silicon Valley and Globalization Come to South Asia" (p. 370).
21. What Indian cities have become important high-tech industry locations? Why?