Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Welcome to the Hdtv mini wiki at Scratchpad!
You can use the box below to create new pages for this mini-wiki. Make sure you type
[[Category:Hdtv]] on the page before you save it to make it part of the Hdtv wiki (preload can be enabled to automate this task, by clicking this link and saving that page. Afterwards, you may need to purge this page, if you still see this message).
What is HDTV?
- HDTV stands for high-definition television, a digital television broadcasting system with a significantly higher resolution than traditional formats (NTSC, SECAM, PAL).
- HDTV can be divided into HDTV (land line TV broadcast and satellite TV broadcast) and HDV (video on media devices).
What are the standard resolutions for HDTV
- 1280×720 and 1920×1080 (only 16:9)
What does 720p, 1080i, 1080p etc. stand for?
- Numbers before letters “p” or “i” mean hight of source video.
- Letter “p” means “progressive”
- Letter “i” means “interlaced”
What is the difference between “progressive” and “interlaced” video?
- In progressive video each frame includes all lines of picture.
- In interlace video one frame includes half of lines of picture and the next frame includes remaining lines. In this case video transmission consumes less bandwidth, but picture quality is worst.
What is “HD Ready”?
- “HD Ready” means that best source video resolution for device is 720p, 1080p will be playable, but it will be resized to 720p.
- “HD Ready” can also mean that TV can receive and show hi-res HD Video, but screen can have resolution much lower than 720p.
- Usually 32” screens and below are “HD Ready”
Why do “HD Ready” screens have 1366×768 resolution?
- It is because of manufacturing limitations.
What is “Full HD”?
- "Full HD" means that device can display 1080p/i video without scaling it, because it has same playback resolution.
- Usually screen bigger than 32” support “Full HD”
What is HD DVD?
- HD DVD is high-definiton DVD or High Density Digital Versatile Disc. HD DVD is descendant of DVD and is promoted by Toshiba, NEC and Sanyo. HD DVD disk has same sizes as ordinary CD or DVD. Single layer HD DVD can store 15Gb of data and double layer HD DVD can store 30Gb.
What is Blu-ray Disc?
- Misspelling of word "Blue" is used because of trademark registration problems. Blu-ray Disc is promoted by BDA (Blu-ray Disc Association) with Sony as leader. As well as HD DVD, Blu-ray Disc has same sizes as ordinary CD or DVD. Single layer Blu-ray Disc can store 25Gb of data and double layer Blu-ray Disc can store 50Gb.
How much data is used by HD movie?
- Most HD DVD and Blu-ray movies use 20-35Gb of space.