Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This Scratchpad wiki was created by the regulars of #firstname.lastname@example.org, as a place to maintain FAQ information on various LDAP-related topics. In keeping with the philosophies of FreeNode and Wikia (and the common topics on #ldap), the focus is on Free Software implementations of servers and clients.
General LDAP topics
See Wikipedia's LDAP page for some general information on LDAP if you haven't yet.
-  Book mostly covering OpenLDAP on Linux, but includes 3 chapters and a few appendices on generic LDAP.
-  OpenLDAP Administrator's Guide
-  LDAP Implementation HOWTO - Beware it is very old, many statements are out-of-date, but basic docs on pam_ldap and nss_ldap seem ok on first inspection.
-  Presentations on OpenLDAP by Adam Tauno Willams.
Open Source Servers
- OpenLDAP Written in C. Developed continuously since 1998.
- 389 Written in C. Formerly known as Netscape.
- OpenDS Written in Java, open source project, positioned as the successor to Sun Java System Directory Enterprise Edition.
- OpenDJ Written in Java, OpenDJ is a fork of OpenDS, actively developped under CDDL and supported by ForgeRock.
- Apache Directory Server (aka ApacheDS) Written in Java.
Closed Source Servers
Included for completeness, but outside the scope of this page.
- Microsoft Active Directory Layered product (i.e: a unified system consisting of multiple independently useful software components) developed by Microsoft for their line of Windows 2000 and later line of servers. Uses Kerberos for primary means of authentication, retrieves user and group information via LDAP subsystem. "Group Policy" configuration management is itself outside LDAP but the Group Policy objects a machien should download are located via LDAP and internally it makes reference to information found in LDAP.
- Novell eDirectory
- NEC Enterprise Directory Server (Japanese website)
- IBM Tivoli Directory Server
- Sun Java System Directory Server Enterprise Edition formerly known as SunOne, iPlanet, etc.
- UnboundID DIrectory Server
- One-NDS (NSN)
Graphical LDAP Tools
- Luma (Python)
- gq (C, GTK+)
- lat (C#, GTK#)
- jxplorer (Java)
- Apache Directory Studio (Eclipse + Java)
Graphical LDAP Tools (Web)
- phpldapadmin (PHP)
- Gosa (PHP)
- FusionDirectory (Based on Gosa) (PHP)
- YALA - Yet Another LDAP Manager (PHP)
- MUCLM - My Uber Cool LDAP Manager (PHP + AJAX)
LDAP-based Unix/Linux Authentication Clients
Note that PADL no longer sells support for these packages; they will refer you to http://www.symas.com instead.
See the LDAPTroubleshooting page.