Luke and The New Engines (known as Luke and the Abandoned Mine in the United States) is the 9th episode of the 18th Season of Thomas and Friends.
Written by: Andrew Brenner
Narrated by: Mark Moraghan
Directed by: David Baas and Rob Silversti
Produced by: Halim Jabbour and Kallan Kagan
Mr. Percival and Sir Topham Hatt were discussing about Luke when the telephone rang. He answered it. It turned out to be a famous general. He was going to be in a parade in Maron Square. He would arrive on a boat at Arlesburgh secretly. He would need to ride on the Northern Forest Line to get to Rheneas, where he would board a train and go to Maron after boarding the express at Crovan's Gate. Later that evening, the general arrives at Arlesburgh and is told to board one of Sixteen's trains. On the train, Mr. Percival and the Fat Controller talk about the many mystery's of Sodor. One of them is Duke's story.
Meanwhile, Luke is having problems shunting the trucks. Then, Duke tells him the story of some old Mine Engines that worked harder and kept the mines working well back in the Mid Sodor days. Yet, he doesn't remember what happened to them. Yet, Luke works harder at the mines until 4:30, when he's suppost to fetch the special train for the general.
Sir Topham Hatt, Mr. Percival, and the general are still talking when they arrive at Rheneas Station. Sir Topham Hatt and Mr. Percival get off the train but when they get to the bottom of the hill, the general's not there. Yet, a hole's in the ground. Both controllers look down the hole, only to see the general on top of four engines that they never saw before!
"It looks as we found our mine engines! These engine's are very famous! My grandfather, Charles, rode on some of these engines back in the day" said Bertram Hatt.
The engines were put on display at the parade the next day. Shortly after, they were restored. Two others were found not far away from there. In the meantime, Luke has gone to the Steamworks a lot to see the engines. They tell nice story and are kind. Luke also told storys about new whistles, steam roller wheels, and passengers and polish. The other engines think that Luke's making a fool of himself, but the engines like him as well as his storys, and the engines wouldn't have it any other way.
- Sir Topham Hatt IV
- Mr. Percival
- The Mines Engines(not named)
- General Gene Michael Martinson Colden III(not named, yet names seen on poster)
- Edward (does not speak)
- Gordon (does not speak)
- Duck (cameo)
- Boco (cameo)
- Diesel 7101/Bear (cameo)
- Skarloey (cameo)
- Sir Handel (mentioned)
- Peter Sam (mentioned)
- Duncan (mentioned)
- Sir Charles Hatt II (mentioned)
- Blue Mountain Quarry
- Northern Forest Line
- Arlesburgh Harbor
- This is the first story that includes Albert, Jim, Tim, Jerry, and the Mines Engines.
- This proves that Charles is Bertram Hatt's Grandfather. It also proves that he's Stephen Hatt Ist is in fact Bertram Hatt IV's father and that he married Dowager Hatt.
- Bear, then named 7101, make's a cameo apperance in his yellow-green paintjob, even though he got it after he left 199 and was renamed Bear.
- Charles Hatt I is the great-grandfather of Richard topham Hatt in the Railway Series, making it impossible for Bertram to be controller since Richard was born first.