Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This article collects information about efforts by consumers to get a refund for Microsoft Windows after buying a computer pre-loaded with it. This is sometimes called the “Windows tax” because it’s usually as certain as death when buying a new computer.
Successful refund requests
|uncle_benji||HP||Vista||$200||How I got a Windows Vista refund from HP (2008-01-20)|
|Bennett, Geoffrey D.||Australia||Toshiba||Windows 95||$110.00 (AUS)|| Toshiba/Microsoft Saga (1998-08-12)|
Linux Today: Windows Refund Madness (1999-01-21)
|Mitchell, Dave||UK||Dell||XP||£47 (~$89) + tax|| Dell customer gets Windows refund (2006-11-07)|
Dell: Windows refund yes, Windows refund policy no (2006-11-08)
|Oualline, Steve||UK||XP||$199||Linux Journal: Getting a Windows Refund in California Small Claims Court (2003-07-30)|
|Wroclawski, Serge||Dell||XP||$52.50|| Linux Watch: Getting your Windows refund (2007-01-08)|
How to get a Windows tax refund (2007-01-05)
|Karczemski, Piotr||Poland||Poltronics / Lenovo||XP Pro||400 PLN ($177.69)||http://polishlinux.org/linux/how-to-get-a-refund-for-windows-in-poland/|
- FOSS Community India wiki (Wikia): Microsoft Tax Refund Quest
- Windows refund - the next episode: Thoughts on a 2007 pan-European action (2007-02-28)
- Linux.com: How to get a Windows tax refund (2007-01-05)
- French court orders Windows refund (2008-05-19)
- petitiononline.com: Honor the Windows Refund Clause Petition - Toshiba
- Yet another Windows refund story (in Finland, still in process) (2007-11-23)
- ars technica: Lenovo won't refund the Windows tax without an NDA (2008-08-31)