Welcome to the Muppets mini wiki at Scratchpad!
You can use the box below to create new pages for this mini-wiki.
The Muppets are a group of puppet characters known for an absurdist, burlesque and self-referential style of variety-sketch comedy. Having been created in 1955 by Jim Henson, they are the namesake for the Disney media franchise that encompasses films, television series, music recordings, print publications, and other media associated with The Muppet Show characters.
Henson once stated that the term "Muppet" had been created as a blend of the words "marionette" and "puppet", but also claimed that it was actually a word he had coined. The Muppets debuted on the television program Sam and Friends, which aired locally on WRC-TV in Washington, D.C. from 1955 to 1961. After appearing on skits in several late night talk shows and advertising commercials during the 1960s, Henson's Muppets began appearing on Sesame Street when that show debuted in 1969. The Muppets then became the stars of multiple television series and films, including; The Muppet Show (1976–1981), The Muppet Movie (1979), The Great Muppet Caper (1981), The Muppets Take Manhattan (1984), and The Jim Henson Hour (1989). After Henson's death in 1990, The Muppets continued their presence in television and cinema with Muppets Tonight (1996–98), a series continuation of The Muppet Show, and three films, The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992), Muppet Treasure Island (1996), Muppets from Space (1999); the former two were co-produced with Disney, who sought to acquire the characters since the late 1980s. In 2004, The Walt Disney Company purchased the rights to The Muppets (except for the Sesame Street characters, which were sold separately to Sesame Workshop, as well as Fraggle Rock and other characters retained by The Jim Henson Company), and later formed The Muppets Studio; a division created specifically for managing The Muppets franchise.
Disney re-branded the franchise beginning in 2008, in anticipation of the seventh film, The Muppets. The film, written by Jason Segel and Nicholas Stoller and directed by James Bobin, was released by Walt Disney Pictures on November 23, 2011, and met with critical acclaim and commercial success. An eighth film, Muppets Most Wanted, was released on March 21, 2014.
WARNING: You may add parodies. But, do NOT delete any.
- Muppets/An American Tail
- Muppets/Shining Time Station
- Muppets/Dr. Seuss
- Muppets/The Little Engine That Could
- Muppets/Toy Story
- Muppets/Thomas and the Magic Railroad
- Muppets/Sesame Street
- Muppets/Phineas and Ferb
- Muppets/Looney Tunes
- Muppets/The Jungle Book
- Muppets/Snow White
- Muppets/Open Season
- Muppets/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Muppets/The Simpsons
- Muppets/Jariel Powell-Outlaw
- Muppets/Mickey Mouse
- Muppets/Regular Show
- Muppets/Family Guy
- Muppets/Disney Infinity
- Muppets/PB&J Otter
- Muppets/Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers
- Muppets/Alvin and the Chipmunks
- Muppets/The Angry Beavers
- Muppets/Clifford the Big Red Dog
- Muppets/Clifford's Puppy Days
- Muppets/Fantastic Mr. Fox
- Muppets/Meet the Robinsons
- Muppets/Bob the Builder
- Muppets/Mighty Ducks
- Muppets/My Little Pony
- Muppets/The Simpsons Movie
- Muppets/Monty Python
- Muppets/Jake and the Never Land Pirates
- Muppets/Doc McStuffins
- Muppets/Sofia the First
- Muppets/Jump Start
- Muppets/Chalk Zone
- Muppets/My Life as a Teenage Robot
- Muppets/Rocket Power
- Muppets/Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
- Muppets/The Wild Thornberrys
- Muppets/As Told By Ginger
- Muppets/Happy Monster Band
- Silly Songs With Beaker (Mkeane418's version)
- Muppets vs. Veggie Night of the Living Clone Fib Outer Space
| This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Muppets.|
The list of authors can be seen in the
As with Scratchpad, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Licence.
- ↑ Jones, Brian Jay (2013). "Sam and Friends". Jim Henson: The Biography. New York: Ballantine Books. pp. 41–42. ISBN 978-0-345-52611-3.
It was really just a term we made up. For a long time I would tell people it was a combination of marionettes and puppets but, basically, it was really just a word that we coined. We have done very few things connected with marionettes.
- ↑ "The Walt Disney Company and The Jim Henson Company Sign Agreement for Disney to buy The "Muppets" and "Bear in the Big Blue House"". Press release. The Walt Disney Company. http://corporate.disney.go.com/news/corporate/2004/2004_0217_kermit.html. Retrieved 16 January 2013. "In the months before his death in 1990, my father Jim Henson pursued extensive discussions with The Walt Disney Company based on his strong belief that Disney would be a perfect home for the Muppets."
- ↑ "The Walt Disney Company and The Jim Henson Company Sign Agreement for Disney to buy the "Muppets" and "Bear in the Big Blue House"". Press release. The Jim Henson Company. http://www.henson.com/press_releases/2004-02-17.pdf. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- ↑ "Disney buys Muppets as bid prospect fades", The Independent, February 18, 2004. Retrieved on December 31, 2011. Template:Dead link
- ↑ Barnes, Brooks. "Fuzzy Renaissance", 18 September 2008. Retrieved on 29 December 2012.
- ↑ Jurgensen, John. "A Muppet Makeover", 19 August 2011. Retrieved on 24 July 2012.
- ↑ Fleming, Michael. "Segel and Stoller take on Muppets", Variety, March 12, 2008. Retrieved on December 31, 2011.
- ↑ Fritz, Ben. "Disney cancels 'Little Mermaid 3-D,' dates 'Pirates 5' for 2015", 15 January 2013. Retrieved on 14 January 2013.