Mutant Max is an television series created by Craig McCracken and Butch Hartman. The show centers on Mutant Max, a genetically engineered creature as well as his friends, the 10-year-old girl Sarah, and her brainy dog, Kenny who all live in Townstropolis.
The animation director is Genndy Tartakovsky, of The Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab and Samurai Jack fame, who also directed many of the show's episodes himself.
Mutant Max revolves around the adventures of Mutant Max, a small, genetically engineered mammal with superpowers. His arch-nemesis is Dr. Cyberbot, the leader of an evil organization, known as "M.A.D.".
The show has a highly stylized, minimalistic visual look, reminiscent of 1950s and '60s pop art.
The show mainly takes place in the fictional city of Townstropolis, USA. Townstropolis is depicted as a major American city, with an impressive cityscape consisting of several major skyscrapers. Cities like LA, New York City, Seattle, Paris, London, and Tokyo have been shown throughout the series.
Mutant Max has both a stylized and realistic animation quality. Characters have five fingers and toes (not four), yet are still exaggerated in their design and have heavily inked outlines. The backgrounds range from realistic, muted colors to bold or neon.
- Mutant Max (voiced by Ben Diskin) is the main protagonist of the series. He is a small, mammalianoid, genetically-engineered creature that resembles a mixture of several miniature animals, including a rabbit, chimpanzee, dog, cat, tasmanian devil and a koala. He has dark green fur with bright yellow paws and patterns around his eyes and on his chin, bottom jaws, stomach and chest. He looks a lot skinny, and has a large round head with huge, long, slim, pointed ears, almost like a bat's own ears, at the side of his head, black eyes, a round nose, a wide mouth with sharp teeth, a long, bent tail with a pointed darker green tip, very thin arms ending with long black claws, slim short legs ended with round feet dotted with black toes, and five spiked, yellow spines on his head forming a mohawk. He wears a bright red jumpsuit with a black belt. He is also seen wearing green sunglasses in most episodes. He speaks perfect English, with an inexplicable Brooklyn accent. He is fireproof, bulletproof, can think faster than a super computer, can run at 760 mph, can see in the dark (when his eyes turn green), has super sight and hearing, and can lift objects 3000 times his own weight. He is also capable of curling into a ball and performing a buzzsaw attack which can cut through most objects, can also swim underwater and jump high into the air. His green hands and feet can produce a sticky substance that allows him to scale walls and ceilings without falling, much like a gecko, and his skeletal structure is so flexible that he can roll around as a ball, curled up while biting onto his legs. Max can retract and extract extra limbs at any time he wishes. He has an extra pair of arms that have already torn holes on the sides of his red suit, three black curved spikes that sprout from his back, long black claws on his hands, and two bug-like antennae on his head. Max is cunning and highly mischievous, but yet he is scrawny and weak but makes up for it by being extremely witty and clever. He is also truly brave and heroic proving to be rather caring and loving. Max has a crush on Sarah, is in love with her and she shares the same feeling. His favorite foods are fast food, pizza, burgers, hot dogs, tacos, nachos and fries.
- Sarah (voiced by Tara Strong) is a beautiful young Scottish-Irish girl, Max's precocious girlfriend and love interest, and the deuteragonist of the series. She is slender, has short blonde hair in two pigtails, light blue eyes, fair skin, and wears a light blue shirt, dark blue pants and red running shoes. She usually goes around barefoot. She is generally a very sweet, fun-loving, caring, kind-hearted, and brave person with a lot of integrity and a tendency to be overemotional. She is also nice, friendly, pleasant, kind, polite and pretty to others. Her favorite food is soft-serve ice cream.
- Kenny (voiced by Frank Welker) is Max's and Sarah's faithful pet dog and companion and the tritagonist of the series. He is bipedal, just as intelligent as a human and assists Sarah in keeping Max out of danger and solving the crime. He is yellow with a brown spot that covers on eye, a black round nose, brown ears and a brown-tipped tail, and wears a red collar. He is very thoughtful and thinks hard before he speaks. When Kenny does speak, it is very slowly. Kenny can communicate with humans, through a "dog" voice or pantomime and physical gestures to communicate effectively.
- Doctor Antonio Cyberbot (voiced by Tom Kane), formerly Doctor Antonio Untiuom, is the main antagonist of the series and leader of the evil M.A.D. organization. He is a notorious genius cyborg mad scientist (similar in manner to Dr. Victor Frankenstein), weapons designer and illegal genetic bio-engineer, with a special talent for gene splicing, who spends most his days creating illegal genetic mutations and robots, and whose main goal is to destroy Mutant Max, crush Townstropolis, and conquer the world, in that order. He is middle-aged, slim, tall and standing on two, very slim legs. He has messy black hair, thin mustache, and black eyes with glowing red irises. He wears a black jumpsuit with missing left sleeve, red lines spanning up, down and around his body, gold gauntlets with black joints and knuckles, and with the MAD logo printed on them, a yellow cape and gray boots. He lost his left arm in a terrible accident, giving him a robotic arm and claw. He speaks in a very low, sinister growl and a very deep, echoing voice. He also has a low, exasperated groan and a low, menacing tone. He is ruthless, cunning, abusive, villainous, diabolical, poorly sarcastical, bad-tempered, vicious and extremely aggressive. He is often seen in his lair, at a computer terminal where he monitors his various schemes, often in a creepy old castle, and can get out of his chair. He bangs his hand on the desk, and scratches the arm of his chair when angered. Dr. Cyberbot's preferred mode of transportation/escape is the M.A.D. Car, a black and red vehicle that can transform into a jet or a submarine. Dr. Cyberbot is an incredibly talented geneticist, able to create new (freakish) species pretty much at will, and his robotic arm is superhumanly strong and equipped with with built-in rocket launcher, force field and shield generator, and laser cannon. His favorite food is liver and onions.
- Puss (voiced by Frank Welker) is Dr. Cyberbot's pet cat who reaps the benefits of his brief victories and bears the brunt of his defeats. He is black and gray with an oval nose, and three whiskers on each side of his cheek.
- Sykes and Butch (voiced by Tom Kane and Jeff Bennett, respecitvely) are two brothers, and the criminal bumbling henchmen to Dr. Cyberbot. Dr. Cyberbot sends out Sykes and Butch to do his dirty work. Sykes is short, obese and wears a yellow shirt with purple pants while Butch is tall, slim wears a purple shirt and black pants. They are dim-witted, clumsy and accident-prone.
- Evil Max (voiced by Ben Diskin) is Mutant Max's evil twin and clone, created by Dr. Cyberbot. He is red with lighter red belly, purple nose, and a cone-shaped head. He has the same abilities as Max, except he has fire manipulation, electric power, telekinesis, ice breath, shoot plasma blasts from his eyes, mouth and hands, and extra retractable limbs (four extra arms, two antennae on his head, four spikes on his back and an extra head). Evil Max is a slobbering, vicious and cruel bully.
- Graimer (voiced by Frank Welker) is Dr. Cyberborg's chief scientist and lab assistant. He is a green-skinned red-eyed Igor-type character who bears the brunt of much of his master's wrath. He wears a monocle, a white lab suit and coat, with pens in its pocket, and wears a shirt and tie. He is sneaky, suave, seductive, sly, crafty, tricky, cowardly, lying and complaining.
- Stinky Bugkins (voiced by Jim Cummings) is a large, green, obese, fuzzy, wicked, grumpy and selfish monster with pointed ears, yellow teeth and red eyes who lives in peaceful solitude in his swamp in the middle of the forest. He wears a white shirt, blue overalls and brown shoes. Though surly, misanthropic, and venomously cranky, Stinky is peaceful and doesn't care to hurt anyone, but just wants to live his life in solitude and be left alone. The swamp is green and murky. The swamp contains small and big pond of muddy water and also has geysers that squirt out mud. The swamp contains the living quarters of Stinky which consists of an outhouse and Stinky's house. The swamp is also a home to different kinds of species including the swamp slug that Stinky uses for his toothpaste.
- Spydro (voiced by Maurice LaMarche) is the recurring antagonist of the series. Spydro wears a red mask, has six arms and a loud voice. His primary goals are to bring down Mutant Max and commit grand crimes of all kinds. Spydro is named for resembling a spider, sporting six arms and keeping his face hidden under a mask. He occasionally takes his mask off to use one of his main powers: the ability to petrify anyone who sees his real face.
- Prince Morebucks (voiced by Maurice LaMarche): a spoiled, insecure, rich little boy, whose father allows him to finance various evil plots to destroy Mutant Max. His supervillain outfit consists of a yellow shirt, black gloves and boots and a cape.
- The Gangdork Gang is a gang of trouble-making, teenaged hoodlums and bikers. The quintet consists of:
- Hector (voiced by Jeff Bennett) is the Gang's leader and a mean-spirited, bullying, opportunistic rogue. He sports a slick-back black hairdo, colored vest-jacket, a pair of shade, and sharp teeth.
- Znake (voiced by Daran Norris) is a slippery character with a forked tongue, a skinny body and a hissing voice. He seems to be the Gang's second-in-command, but mostly this means that he is reduced to a snivelling yes-man to Hector.
- Grubhog (voiced by Kevin Michard Richardson) is the Gang's most physically grotesque member and is a large, pink pig-like fellow.
- Big Gordy (voiced by Daran Norris) is a larger, green beast who acts as the Gang's muscle. He is also shown to speak in two different ways: like a normal person, and like a caveman.
- Lil' Zipper (voiced by Jeff Bennett) is a small malevolent Mexican-accented mouse. Lil' Zipper Seems to take the most amusement from the Gang's activities.
- Mr. Nosehair (voiced by Jim Cummings) is Mutant Max's short-tempered boss. He is an obese man with obvious hair plugs and is always seen smoking a cigar. He often yells "MAX!" to him in a number of episodes.
- Byron Mabble (voiced by Maurice LaMarche), is a scientist and inventor from Wales working for Townstropolis. He wears a white lab coat, with pens in its pocket, and wears a shirt and tie, and his head is oval with carefully parted black hair and thick eyebrows.
- Miss Denise (voiced by Jennifer Hale) is Mutant Max's school teacher. She wears an orange shirt, red vest, brown pants, and has short black hair and green eyes. She is patient, understanding and very protective of her students, making her a well-liked, motherly figure.
- Robert (voiced by Rob Paulsen) is Sarah's best friend. He has lightbrown hair, and wears a grey T-shirt with a white A on it.
- Vicky (voiced by Cree Summer) is Sarah's and Max's close friend. She is a African-American girl, with long hair and green eyes. He wears a yellow sleeveless shirt and orange skirt with grey shoes.
- Brittany (voiced by Kath Soucie) is Sarah's best friend. She has red hair and has green eyes. She wears a light green shirt, dark green pants and black running shoes.
- K-9 (voiced by Maurice LaMarche) is a bloodhound dog.
- Mayor of Townstropolis (voiced by Tom Kane) is referred throughout only a "Mayor". He is tall and old with a fringe of white hair around a bald scalp, a thick mustache and a round nose. He wears a monocle and a small top hat.
- Brian (voiced by Jeff Bennett) is a beagle dog.
- Paxman (voiced by Tom Kenny) is a green dog-like creature with rabbit-like ears and a long, pink, rat-like tail created by Dr. Cyberbot.
- Mittens (voiced by Grey DeLisle) is a black cat and Max's best friend.
- Ryan (voiced by Roger L. Jackson) is a gerbil and Max's best friend.
- Townstropolis is a city most famous for an active volcano (which would later become the base for Dr. Cyberbot's observatory). Townstropolis Park is where people, young and old, read books, play games, and have a good time. The park is also home to Dr. Cyberbot, who lives in his lair atop a volcano. Townstropolis's forest is home to precious little woodland creatures. It is also home to villain Stinky Bugkins. Townstropolis is almost like Los Angeles, CA, New York, NY and Seattle, WA together. Townstropolis is at latitude 32 degrees north, longitude 212 degrees west (148 degrees east). The cities' name is in fact actually a paradox as it infers the city to be a village, town and City all in one. The tallest building in the city of Townstropolis looks almost like the Empire State Buliding in New York City.
- Ben Diskin - Mutant Max/Evil Max
- Tara Strong - Sarah
- Frank Welker - Kenny/Puss/Graimer/MAD Agents
- Tom Kane - Dr. Cyberbot/Sykes/Mayor of Townstropolis/MAD Agents
- Jeff Bennett - Butch/Brian/Hector/Lil' Zipper/MAD Agents
- Jim Cummmings - Mr. Nosehair/Stinky Bugkins/MAD Agents
- Maurice LaMarche - Spydro/Byron Mabble/K-9/Prince Morebucks/MAD Agents
- Jennifer Hale - Miss Denise
- Rob Paulsen - Robert/MAD Agents
- Cree Summer - Vicky
- Kath Soucie - Brittany
- Tom Kenny - Paxman
- Butch Hartman - MAD Agents
- Daran Norris - Znake/Big Gordy/MAD Agents
- Kevin Michael Richardson - Grubhog/MAD Agnets
- Grey DeLisle - Mittens
- Roger L. Jackson - Ryan/MAD Agents
- The Origin of Mutant Max
- Winter Olympics
- Max Boom
- Max and Sarah
- Hooked on Maxs
- Ultra Max
- High Winds
- Escape from Castle Mountain
- Super Max
- Max Racer
- Warp Max
- Harmonic Max
- Max Past Cool
- Dr. Cyberbot's Revenge
- Max to the Rescue
- High Tide
- Evil Max
- Life Lessons
- Million Dollar Cyborg
- Control Freaks
- Memory Blank
- Max Conversion
- The School of Hard Knocks
- Supper Zeroes
- Mutant Paxman