The TS-109 is a member of the Turbostation Family of Network Access Storage (NAS) Devices from QNAP.
Some of the key features are:
- 1 Internal SATA II drive, up to 1TB
- 1 eSATA II external drive, also up to 1TB
- USB 2.0 for drive/printer sharing
- RAID 1 Support
- iTunes Server
- TwonkyMedia-based UPnP Multimedia/DLNA Support
- CIFS/SMB/AFP/NFS support
- Bittorrent/HTTP/FTP downloader
- Web Server w/ PHP/MySQL/SQLite
- 500Mhz ARM CPU
- 128MB RAM, 16MB Flash
Full product details are available from their website.
The PCB used in the TS-109 seems to be a "Marvell Development Board (LSP Version 1.10.3_DB_NAS)-- RD-88F5182-NAS-2 Soc: 88F5182 A2".
This board seems to be part of Marvell's Media Vault Processor suite of products.
- Marvell 88F5182 A2 CPU at 500Mhz
- 2 Marvell USB EHCI Host controllers
- A 16550A Serial Interface
- 1 Marvell Gigabit Ethernet
- 2 Marvell SCSI to SATA adapters
TS-109/209 are "based on Marvell 5182 SoCs". This is the exact same CPU used in:
- Maxtor MSS II
- Linkstation Pro
- Terastation Pro V2!
At the time of this writing, the latest firmware is version 1.1.3. You can get the latest version at all times here.
The memory addressing is as follows:
- 0x00780000-0x00800000 : "U-Boot" on /dev/mtdblock0 (256KB)
- 0x00000000-0x00200000 : "Kernel" on /dev/mtdblock1 (2MB)
- 0x00200000-0x00600000 : "RootFS1" on /dev/mtdblock2 (3MB)
- 0x00600000-0x00700000 : "RootFS2" on /dev/mtdblock3 (9MB)
- 0x00760000-0x00780000 : "U-Boot Config" on /dev/mtdblock4 (128KB)
- 0x00700000-0x00760000 : "NAS Config" on /dev/mtdblock5 (640KB)
Native software ( default provided by Qnap )
- UPnP Media Server (with built-in TwonkyMedia Server)
- BitTorrent for continous download
- File Server
- FTP Server
- NetBak Replicator performs real-time synchronization or schedule backup from multiple PCs
- RAID-1 mirroring to external USB or eSATA disk
- Remote Replication to other NAS or Server (uses rsync)
- Web server with dual support of MySQL and SQLite and with editable php.ini support
- MySQL Server
- Print server
Native software (Only Pro model)
- NFS server
Adding software ( NSLUG2 )
Since the CPU is common to Maxtor Shared Storage II (MSII), the procedures for adding software to MSII can also be used fot adding software to Qnap TS-109 and TS-209.