1. How would you explain to a layman what technology management is all about at the firm level and the national level?
2. Explain the Technology Life Cycle and its importance to a firm’s formulation of its R&D strategy and corporate Technology strategy?
3. Pick a country other than the Philippines that you are familiar with. Describe the principal features of that country’s National Innovation System and their contribution to the country’s technological and economic development. Then indicate what lesson may be learned by the Philippines in its own efforts at technological catch-up/development and economic growth.
4. What are the major technology strategies at the firm level and what methods/procedures must a corporate technology manager follow in order to formulate the most appropriate technology strategy for his or her own firm?
5. What is your interpretation of the statement: Technology capacity building involves the dynamic interaction of technology, development and trade needs to be managed both at the macro and micro level.
6. What are the principal differences among the 3 generations of R&D Mangement as applied to a national R&D system. How would you classify and assess the present R&D system of the Philippines?
7. Explain the differences in the technology strategy and TM tasks of a firm in the various stages of the technology life cycle?
8. If you were appointed VP for R&D plans of your company, what tasks and processes would you execute towards the preparation of your company’s R&D plan and portfolio?
9. Explain the roles and functions played by science and technology in national development.
10. Discuss the reasons and the factors behind the poor and colonial condition of science and the weak and dependent state of technology in the Philippines.
11. What do you think are the technological development strategies that the Philippines should pursue for the next ten years if it wants to catch up technologically and achieve economic competitiveness?
12. In the light of the experiences of other countries, what are the pro’s and con’s of economic liberalism and economic nationalism with respect to the scientific and technological development of 3rd world countries.
13. In your assessment, what are the principal reasons behind the Philippine’s weak capacity for the supply of science and technology and its lack of effective demand for local science and technology?
14. As a follow up to the previous question, what new policies and programs in your opinion should the national government adopt in order to stimulate R&D in the private sector and facilitate the commercialization of local R&D outputs.
15. Please explain why local manufacturing firms hardly invest, or do not invest at all in research and development?
16. How would you try to convince a CEO of a local manufacturing firm about the importance or value of R&D to his firm?
17. If you were appointed as corporate R&D manager, what initial activities towards the preparation of an R&D plan would you carry out even before evaluating the risks and benefits and other factors associated with various prospective R&D projects.
18. Why is project management not always a reliable technique for the successful implementation of a well formulated R&D plan? And what can you do as an R&D manager to avoid R&D misfits and mishaps?
Define technology forecasting and technology assessment. Discuss the roles of these two activities in long term futures.