Railway Station Tales was an Americanised version of the British television series Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends, seen on the PBS network. The show consisted of a plot line, with an "episode" of Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends (mostly stock footage, which was cartoon-animated instead of live action animated).
The show introduced Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends to the US however, none of the original series' plotlines were used; the new stories were rewritten and edited as moral based stories, rather than action based.
Another significant change is the characters featured in the Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends segments: Gordon was renamed Big George; Toby was renamed Trundle; and Troublesome Trucks were renamed Foolish Freight Cars. Also, Sodor became Sodall Island. In some cases, even the characters' genders were changed, such as the case with Thomas' major characters, Percy, Stepney, Peter Sam and Terence who were now all females, instead of male.
Comparisons with Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends
- The original setting of Thomas & Friends, The Island of Sodor, became Sodall Island. The engines were called trains.
- Percy, Stepney, Peter Sam and Terence were written as female characters. Percy was referred to as Thomas' sister.
- Sunshine (from TUGS) has made appearences in Railway Station Tales and was Thomas and Percy's best friend.
- Diesel was still evil, but was referred to as a pirate.
Various character names were also changed:
- Gordon became Big George.
- Toby became Trundle.
- Sir Handel became Lord Harry.
- Rusty became Cappy.
- Bertie was called Jimmy.
- Cranky became Tall Ted.
- George became Roller.
- BoCo was known as CoBo.
- Bill and Ben were movie producers named Mr. Billy and Mr. Benny.
- The Spiteful Brakevan was named Slim and was shy and bashful.
- The Narrow Gauge Railway became Small Tracks Station.
- The Diesel's name changed a couple of times.
- The Troublesome Trucks were called Foolish Freight Cars.
- Unlike Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends, the characters were voiced by individual actors.
- Big George spoke with a Bronx accent and Mr. Billy and Mr. Benny had high voices.
- Mr. Billy and Mr. Benny sounded like Chip 'n' Dale from Chip 'n' Dale, while Mavis sounded like Misty from Pokemon.
- Ian James Corlett voices Thomas and Michael Donovan voices Henry that sounded like Lister and Rimmer respectively, from Red Dwarf.
- There's a slight goof, with Mavis' voice in season 3. Mavis' voice has a higher pitch, but in previous seasons, she had a distinctly lower pitch.
- The Fat Controller was renamed Sir Tophamm Hatt.
- Railway Station Tales is highly unpopular among Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends fans, who believe it to be a crude and diluted adaptation of the original show. Many of the changes made to the show are regarded as highly implausible. For example, though many of the engines had undergone name changes, their names were painted on the side of their cabs, while their original names could still clearly be seen painted on some engine's sides. Special venom is aimed at the fact that the footage had been spliced together with seemingly little regard for continuity; there are numerous scenes where the engine's coaches and trucks loads or the settings around them change from shot to shot, and in one episode the locomotive pulling the train also change.
- There was supposed to an actual USA version of Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends nothing at all like Salty's Lighthouse.
- All the Skarloey Railway engines remain their RWS red liveries and Donald and Douglas are painted blue, as in the Railway Series. Garten had a blue bufferbeam, black wheels and a 2-6-2 wheel arrangement instead of 4-6-2, Mr. Billy and Mr. Benny had reversed letters (CCS instead of SCC), Duck had green wheels and James had his tender connected to his rear valence. Cobo was a Co-Co diesel engine instead of Co-Bo because he has 6 wheels at the back, not 4, like CoBos.
- The breakdown train had three (or four) speaking roles.
- This is the first cartoon to feature Racheal Lillis, rather than Anime.
- Ian James Corlett - Thomas, Lord Harry, Trundle, Rheneas, Toad, Donald and Douglas
- Scott McNeil - Duncan, Skarloey, Oliver and Bulstrode
- Paul Dobson - Big George, Diesel, CoBo
- Venus Terzo - Mavis and Emily
- Long John Baldry - James, Edward and Jimmy
- Andrea Libman - Percy, Stepney and Caroline
- Gary Chalk - Bulgy
- Micheal Donovan - Henry, Slim, Roller, Duke and S. C. Ruffey
- Lenore Zann - Lady Hatt, Henrietta, Peter Sam and Old Slow Coach
- French Tickner - Sir Topham Hatt, Derek, Tall Ted and the Quarry Master
- Richard Newman - Mr. Billy and Mr. Benny
- Brad Swaile - Harold, Trevor, Duck and Cappy
- Kirby Morrow - Foolish Frieght Cars
- Kathleen Barr - Terence and Daisy
- Janyse Jaud - Annie and Clarabel
WARNING: You may add parodies. But, do NOT delete any.
- Railway Station Tales/TUGS
- Railway Station Tales/Theodore Tugboat
- Railway Station Tales/Sonic
- Railway Station Tales/Garfield
- Railway Station Tales/The Simpsons
- Railway Station Tales/Scooby Doo
- Railway Station Tales/Alvin and the Chipmunks
- Railway Station Tales/Ernest the Engine and others
- Railway Station Tales/Noddy's Toyland Adventures
- Railway Station Tales/Horrid Henry
- Railway Station Tales/Salty's Lighthouse