Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
| Solar System Scratchpad|
- Moon - The only natural satellite of the Earth. Its existence has affected life on Earth with its bright light and tidal effects. The closest relative mass for any satellite of a planet. One side faces the Earth, while the other always faces away. Has extensive volcanic past, negligible atmosphere. Presents an old cratered surface. Thought to have been formed when a planet-sized object struck the Earth. The only other body in the solar system that mankind has landed on. Currently orbited by the GRAIL satellites.
- Io - Jupiter's volcanic moon.
- Europa - Smooth and bright moon of Jupiter. Its surface is covered with linear grooves, possibly cracks in a frozen ocean. One of most likely places to find life outside of Earth.
- Ganymede - Largest moon of Jupiter and in the solar system. Larger than the planet Mercury, though not as massive. Only moon known to generate its own magnetic field. Only body other than Earth known to have plate tectonics.
- Callisto - Furthest of Jupiter's major moons, Callisto is a dead world unlike its siblings. It is considered the most heavily cratered surface in the solar system and therefor has the oldest surface.
- Mimas - Innermost large moon of Saturn. Has a distinct large crater that gives the moon the nickname the "Deathstar Moon".
- Enceladus - Second large moon of Saturn. The brightest and smoothest known body in the solar system. Has active ice geysers that feed Saturn's rings and enter its atmosphere (making it the only Moon to affect its parent's composition) and neighboring moons.
- Tethys - Large moon of Saturn. May have had an ancient subsurface ocean which froze out when interaction with Dione subsided. Ithaca Chasma may have resulted with this freeze.
- Dione - Large moon of Saturn. Interacts with Enceladus today (flexes it to maintain liquid ocean) and may have helped Tethys in the past maintain a liquid ocean.
- Rhea - Second largest moon of Saturn. A cratered icy world almost 1000 miles across. Has a tenuous oxygen-rich atmosphere created by charged particles from Saturn's magnetic field striking and splitting apart water molecules.
- Titan - Largest moon of Saturn and the only known moon to have a thick atmosphere. Only body known to have bodies of liquids on its surface other than the Earth, which are composed of hydrocarbons. Landed on by the Huygens probe and mapped by the Cassini orbiter.
- Iapetus - Outermost large moon of Saturn, only spherical one in an eccentric, inclined orbit. Has two different "faces", one very bright and the other very dark. Has mountain range across its equator which significantly distorts its spherical shape.
- Miranda - Innermost and smallest of Uranus' major moons. It was the only one of Uranus' moons that Voyager 2 flew by closely and the closest flyby up to this point in its mission. Contains grooved terrain, scarps, cliffs, some which appear in a Chevron shape.
- Ariel - Ss:Ariel
- Umbriel - Large moon of Uranus.
- Titania - Ss:Titania
- Oberon - Large moon of Saturn.
- Triton - Largest moon of Neptune. In an irregular orbit, possibly a captured Kuiper Belt object. Observed by Voyager 2. Found to have ice geysers and a thin but significant atmosphere.
- Charon - Large moon of Pluto, contains a tenth of its mass, making it a double dwarf planet.