Habisain has created a translation tool called RPGMaker Trans which can be used to translate RPGMaker 2000 games which continually update. Hence, there is now a translation patch for RyonaRPG.
Limitations: RPGMaker Trans uses string substitution, so each individual string can only be translated in one way. An example of this is Lenna from FF5 and Rena from SO2. These characters are both レナ in Japanese, and have different romanisations. This means that RPGMaker Trans cannot get both characters names right.
Where to get itEdit
There is now a translation project SVNhere . Feel free to help if you know Japanese.
How to TranslateEdit
The quick instructions on use are as follows:
Preparation (All OS) Edit
- Extract RPGMaker Trans
- Copy your RyonaRPG directory to the directory containing RPGMaker2k Trans (NB: the name of the RyonaRPG directory has to be RyonaRPG, and can't be anything else or RPGMaker2k Trans won't find the patch)
- Put RyonaRPG_patch.zip into the directory containing RPGMaker Trans (if you plan on updating RyonaRPG often, then it would be wise to extract the zip file so that you have a RyonaRPG_patch directory containing the translation text files; this speeds up incremental patching at the moment - in a later version of RPGMaker Trans, it won't be necessary).
- Follow further steps for your OS
- Run RPGMaker Trans. If you haven't set JP locale on your computer, you will need to run RPGMaker Trans through AppLocale.
- The patched version of the game will be created in RyonaRPG_translated
- Install python-wkgtk (probably v2.8 or newer) and 7zip
- Extract RPGMaker Trans into the working directory (7z x rpgmaker_trans_1.99.exe)
- Extract Library.zip into the working directory (7z x library.zip)
- Delete the (Windows) wx directory in the working directory (rm -r wx)
- Run the main script with python (python __main__.pyc)
General Notes Edit
When updating RyonaRPG, update the original untranslated game. Then run RPGMaker 2k Trans, and it will update your translated copy.
Contributions and critique are welcome, contact habisain via hongfire or e-mail to get involved.
Current Translation StatusEdit
- Character creation (excluding the GUI to assign sensitivity points) (Habisain)
- World Map (Habisain)
- Most of the menu stuff (not all items yet, but there's a helluva lot of them) (Habisain/HyperK2)
- All of the diary and debug menus (I think - I'm not 100% certain on this) (Habisain)
- Almost all of the Arena map (Prizes are not translated, the rest should be) (Habisain/RPGFan65535)
- Some skill names (RPGFan65535)
- Some of Ray-On Village ( HyperK2)
Machine Translating the RestEdit
Habisain's translation tool does not cover a large portion of the game's content and parts of it are out of date. Using a combination of agth, Translation Aggregator and (optionally but required for offline translation) ATLAS. You can find a complete guide for using them here. Note that lists and menu options that do not use proper punctuation will not translate properly unless you separate them in the text box in translation aggregator.
- For convenience, I will assume agth.exe is in the RyonaRPG directory
- AGTH must be called with the "/C" and "/X" flags ("agth.exe /X /C RPG_RT.exe" from the RyonaRPG directory)
- Use Alt+Enter to exit full-screen mode
- The channel you're looking for is, "ExtTextOutA", which only shows up once you have selected either "continue" or "new game"
- Some text boxes display too quickly for AGTH to reliably grab all of the text. I don't know of a convenient way to deal with this problem.