Surikura: Orochimaru Rises, also known as Fangface: Blast from the Past, is an Americanime theatrical film made with Adobe Flash animation in a Japanese anime style. The film was first dubbed in Japanese but was later redubbed in English and was changed with minor details. In the English dub, the movie seems to be based on the 1978 animated cartoon series "Fangface" by Ruby-Spears.
The movie was originally distributed by Funimation but the rights were later bought by 4Kids Entertainment, making several edits through all of the Japanese names that are still intact and replacing the music video animated scenes with scenes from the movie due to copyrights with Cartoon Network Studios and Nickelodeon Studios, but MoonScoop later bought the rights to the movie unedited, stating to air in on The Hub and Kabillion.
Due to an accident from the magical time-traveling japanese cat statue, Surikura Yakimoto (voice of Will Smith), who transforms into werewolf "Fangface" when he sees the full moon, along with his friends, Kyoko, Saki and Kabao (voice of Grey DeLisle, Tara Strong and Scott McCord) accidentally travel back to the Edo period of Japan. Due to being doomed by the evil snake ninja Orochimaru (voice of Taylor Lautner), his Japanese-Jamaican henchmen Todosai and Ryurya (voice of reggae singer, Ziggy Marley and Doug E. Doug) and his army of hypnotized animals, they need help from Ninja Jiraiya (voice of Toshi Toda), Miyamoto Musashi (voice of Cari-Hiroyuki Tagawa), Miyamoto Usagi (voice of Yuri Lowenthal), Guan Yu (voice of Sean Paul), Za Sing (voice of Janice Kawaye), Wu Song (voice of Keone Young), Ching Sen (voice of Sean Fujiyoshi) and Tsunade (voice of Hynden Walch) in order to save Osaka.
- Will Smith - Surikura Yakimoto/Sherman "Fangface" Fangsworth':' Every 400 years, a baby werewolf is born in the Fangsworth family. Sherman is the baby werewolf who later grew up and joined a mystery team with three kids. When ever he sees the full moon or the picture of the moon, he transforms into a werewolf named Fangface with a huge apetite. He has no idea he's Fangface.
- Grey DeLisle - Kyoko Honda/Kimberley "Kim" Smith: Sherman's love intrest who is very pretty and smart.
- Tara Strong - Saki Morasama/Biff Quindleton: Sherman's best friend who is very talented and sports a crush on Kim. His second best friend is Puggsey.
- Scott McCord - Kabao/Bartholomew "Puggsey" Pugglestein: An overweighted Bohemian kid who always gets eaten by Fangface when he transforms
- Taylor Lautner - Orochimaru: The evil snake ninja who was a warrior named Yashagaro who was Jiraiya's apprentice but was overtaken by the serphant magic and gained the ability to control all of the animals. He is the main antagonist of the film. In the 4kids edition, his name was changed to "Dark Snaker" and his name was changed to "Fishermeyer".
- Ziggy Marley - Todosai/Jerry: The Japanese-Jamaican henchman of Orochimaru who were created during a mixed fusion between chakra and mochi ice cream. He is the leader of the duo.
- Doug E. Doug - Ryurya/Terry: The Japanese-Jamaican henchman of Orochimaru who were created during a mixed fusion between chakra and mochi ice cream. He is the most funniest of the duo.
- Toshi Toda - Jiraiya: A frog ninja who has the ability to summon frogs. He was Orochimaru's mentor until he gone rogue. He is married to Tsunade. In the 4kids edition, his name is changed to "Frogger Man".
- Cari-Hiroyuki Tagawa - Miyamoto Musashi/Musashi Miyamoto: A Japanese swordsmen and samurai who is consideed one of the greatest warriors of all time. In the 4kids edition, his name is changed to "Samurai Jones", parodying Cartoon Network's Samurai Jack, even replacing the actor with Phil LaMarr, who voices Jack.
- Sean Paul - Guan Yu: A Chinese soldier who gets angered easily and has the reddest face in all of Japan. He is a powerful warrior who led the camoflague troops which all wear green faces. It turns out that he got so angry when he was a child, the red heat in his face stook that way. In the 4kids edition, his name was changed to "Red Faced Quing".
- Janice Kawaye - Za Sing/Tune Pipe: An Asian mixed (Chinese-Japanese) geisha guitarist who does not talk much (she does speak) but plays her lute.
- Hynden Walch - Tsunade: The wife of Jiraiya who is a slug ninja and has the ability to summon slugs. In the 4kids edition, her name was changed to "Madame Slugger".
- Yuri Lowenthal - Miyamoto Usagi/Usagi Yojimbo: The pet anthropomorphical rabbit of great warrior, Miyamoto Musashi. He is based on a 1980s character from the comic series "Usagi Yojimbo" by Stan Sakai. In the 4kids entertainment, his surname was dropped and was changed to "Usagi the Rabbit Warrior".
- Keone Young - Wu Song: A dental warrior who always undoes teeth problems and is also good at wielding a bo. In the 4kids edition, his name was not changed but was replaced with Ted McGinley (Happy Days) in a stereotypical game-show-host accent.
- Sean Fujiyoshi - Ching Sen: A lowly potato farmer who had two short speaking cameos in the film. In the 4kids edition, his name was changed to "Ezekiel".
- Fangface Theme - (only in English dub)
- HELP! - (only in Japanese dub)
- Three Little Birds by Ziggy Marley and Sean Paul
- Mr. Roboto by Styx
- Teen Titans by Puffy AmiYumi (instrumental)
- Car Wash by Christina Aguilera and Missy Elliot
Car Wash Music Video
The traditional cel animation (combined with cel-shaded 3D computer animation, Flash cartoon animation, stop motion animation, puppetry and claymation) reached as the top music video. The song was actually from the Shark Tale soundtrack, which Smith also voices the main character. The music video features Aguilera and Elliot as animated demons (Elliot was a yokai and Aguilera was a werewolf), combined with scenes of Aguilera and Elliot recording the song at a recording studio. The video also included scenes from Fangface (Surikura), including original footage featuring several cartoon characters from several popular culture cartoon shows helping Fangface and his gang do the car wash and dancing.
Here is an incomplete list of cartoon characters that have appeared due to the number of characters:
- Finn (Adventure Time)
- Jack (Samurai Jack)
- Princesses (Adventure Time)
- Yogi Bear
- Boo-Boo Bear (Yogi Bear)
- Marceline (Adventure Time)
- Kim (Adventure Time)
- Shobu Kirifuda (Duel Masters)
- Rekuta (Duel Masters)
- Boy George (Duel Masters)
- Jake (Adventure Time)
- Mordecai & Rigby (Regular Show)
- High Five Ghost (Regular Show)
- Dynomutt (Blue Falcon)
- Blue Falcon
- Billy & Mandy
- Grim (Billy & Mandy)
- Evil Con Carne
- The Jelly Beans
- Gumball & Darwin Waterson (Amazing World of Gumball)
- Bugs & Daffy (Chuck Jones' Looney Tunes and The Looney Tunes Show)
- Duck Dodgers
- Tim & Moby (BrainPop)
- El Tigre
- Rikochet (Mucha Lucha)
- Fionna & Cake (Adventure Time)
- Princes (Adventure Time)
- Ice King (Adventure Time)
- Muscle Man (Regular Show)
- Yugi Mutou (Yugioh)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987 and 2003 versions)
- Power Rangers (MMPR)
- Chiro (SRMTHFG)
- Henry & June (Kablam!)
- Team Go (Kim Possible)
- Lilo & Stitch
- Yuuna (Stitch! anime)
- Angel (Lilo & Stitch)