(As Ash plays a mournful tune, Jim Crow nudges June encouragingly, and she walks towards him, determined to make him listen now that Ash is unoccupied with his detective work.)
- June/Olivia: Now will you please listen to me? My grandpa's gone and I'm all alone.
(Ash pauses temporarily.)
- Ash/Basil: (still depressed) Young lady, this is a most inopportune time. (He resumes playing, but after seeing June's sad face, decides to humor her.) Surely your mommy and daddy know where he is.
- June/Olivia: I--- I don't have a mommy or daddy.
(Ash screeches the violin as he abruptly sits up.)
- Ash/Basil: (uncertainly) Well... um... well, then perhaps... (firmly) See here! I simply have no time for lost grandfathers. (turns away)
- June/Olivia: (now annoyed as she puts her hands on her hips, defiantly) I didn't lose him. He was taken by a dog.
(ThePokemon trainer's eyes widen and he leans towards June intently; clearly, this information is of great importance.)
- Ash/Basil: Did you say...DOG?
- June/Olivia: Yes.
- Ash/Basil: (expectantly) Did he have dirty fur?
- June/Olivia: I don't know. But he had a wheezy laugh!
(This information is key to Ash, who stands up on the arms of the chair, his arms wide.)
- Ash/Basil: HA!
- Jim Crow/Dawson: I say, do you know him?
- Ash/Basil: (sitting on the top of the chair, as if building up to a shocking revelation) Know him? That dog, one Muttley by name, is in the employ of the fiend who was the very target of my experiment! The horror of my every waking moment. The nefarious Richard Milhous Dastardly!
(Ash points his bow in the direction of the fireplace, where a picture of a male race car driver sits on the mantle frame. The flames in the fire burst and lightning strikes as we see a close up of Dick Dastardly's sinister grin.)
- Jim Crow/Dawson: Uh...Dick Dastardly?
- Ash/Basil: (leans over the top of the chair and delivers the next few lines from different locations, accenting Dick Dastardly's character.) He's a genius, Jim. (He ducks down and reappears at the side.) A genius... twisted for evil. (Then Ash moves in front of the chair.) The Napoleon of crime!
- Jim Crow/Dawson: As bad as all that, eh?
- Ash/Basil: (now behind them, poking his head through a banister; hoarsely) Worse! For years, I've tried to capture him and I've come close... (He stands and holds his fist out towards the picture.) ...so very close. But each time he's narrowly evaded my grasp.
(Ash's voiceover continues as the camera takes us deeper and deeper through Viridian City's sewers.)
- Ash/Basil: Not a corner of Viridian City's safe while Dick Dastardly's at large. There's no evil scheme he wouldn't concoct! No depravity he wouldn't commit. (We come to an empty barrel on its side, and an iron door with bars.) Who knows what dastardly scheme that villain may be plotting even as we speak...
(Inside the prison, a mechanical robot is pouring tea into a cup. Professor Oask is working at a podium, controlling its movements. An evil man is at the door, monitoring his progress. He wears a long blue overcoat, black pants and boots, long red gloves, and a large striped hat with driving goggles attached, and sporting a handlebar mustache. His name is Richard "Dick" Milhous Dastardly. Dick Dastardly's voice is oily and gentlemanlike.)
- Dick Dastardly/Ratigan: (chuckles evilly) Quite an ingenious scheme, eh, Oak? And aren't you proud to be a part of it?
- Professor Oask/Flaversham: This whole thing...i-i-it's monstrous!
(He continues working at the controls, getting the robot to pour a spoonful of sugar into the teacup and stir.)
- Dick Dastardly/Ratigan: We will have our device ready by tomorrow evening, won't we? You know what will happen if you...fail?
(In Dick Dastardly's hands is a small gold bell which obviously holds a certain threat. He rings it once, but instead of being afraid, Professor Oak becomes angry and defiant.)
- Professor Oak/Flaversham: I-I-I don't care!
(He jerks hard on the controls, making the robot dump the cup of tea on its head. The robot seizes the teapot and pours that onto its head as well, then hurls it towards Dick Dastardly, who dodges just in time. The robot is flailing around and finally stops, but not before squirting oil out, which lands on Dick Dastardly's hat. The man scowls at the resultant stain.)
- Dick Dastardly/Ratigan: My favorite chapeau! You will pay for this, you -
- Professor Oak/Flaversham: You can do what you want with me. I won't be a part of this... this...this evil any longer!
(Dick Dastardly has wiped the oil from his hat and breathes out his cigarette smoke. He smiles. )
- Dick Dastardly/Ratigan: (biting off rage) Mmm... (normally) Very well. If that is your decision. (He pick's up June's ballerina doll and winds it up.) Oh, uh, by the way, I'm taking the liberty of having your granddaughter brought here.
- Professor Oak/Flaversham: J-June?
- Dick Dastardly/Ratigan: Yes. Hm-hm, yes. (He sets the doll down and watches it dance; mockingly) I would spend many a sleepless night if anything unfortunate were to befall her.
- Professor Oak/Flaversham: You...you wouldn't!
('"Dick Dastardly picks up the doll again, and squeezes it until it breaks. He gazes at the doll in mock sorrow, then lunges threateningly at the Pokemon Professor.)
- Dick Dastardly/Ratigan: (yelling) FINISH IT, OAK!!
(With a heavy heart, Oak does as he's told.)
(Outside, Dick Dastardly is humming to himself as he writes a list.)
- Dick Dastardly/Ratigan: Oh, I love it when I'm nasty. (He looks above the doorway to another barrel, where Muttley is hanging from the faucet, sleeping.) Muttley? (Muttley doesn't awaken, so Dick Dastardly screams in his ear; calling back) MUTTLEY! (Startled, the dog from his perch and rolls down the stairs at Dick Dastardly's feet.) Bright and alert as always. Here's the list. And you know what to do, and no mistakes!
- Muttley/Fidget: No, no. No mistakes, sir. (quickly reading the list) Tools, gears, girl, uniforms...
- Dick Dastardly/Ratigan: (impatiently yelling from the doorway) NOW, Muttley!
- Muttley/Fidget: I'm going, I'm going! I'm going!
(Muttley rushes over to a drain grate, lifts it up and disappears below as he mumbles incoherently to himself.)