The Importance of Being Earnest is a Japanese Comedy of Manners Anime, based on Oscar Wilde's Play of the same name directed by Ryunosuke Otashi. Just like the play, the Anime consists of three acts and was produced by Nippon Animation. It was licensed and distributed by Miramax Films, a subdivision of The Walt Disney Company.
The Anime is truly faithful to the original Play and follows the storyline very well.
The film opens with Algernon Moncrieff, an idle young gentleman, receiving his best friend, John Worthing, whom he knows as Ernest. Ernest has come from the country to propose to Algernon's cousin, Gwendolen Fairfax.
- Patti LuPone as Miss Prism
- Joan Plowright as Lady Bracknell
- Spike Milligan as Rev. Canon Chasuble
- Brian Murray as John Worthing
- John Ritter as Algernon Moncrieff
- Nicolette Sheridan as Servant
- Natasha Richardson as Gwendolen Fairfax
- Jim Carrey as Lane
- Marilu Henner as Cecily Cardew
- Christopher Reeve as Merriman