Thomas and the Trucks, retitled Trouble for Thomas in American releases, is the sixth episode of the first season. It aired in the US on the Shining Time Station episodes, And the Band Played Off and Jingle, Jingle, Jingle.
Thomas was bored with his job of shunting coaches and complained to the other engines about it. One night, Edward offered to swap jobs with Thomas: he would shunt the coaches while Thomas took his trucks. Thomas happily agreed.
Unfortunately, Thomas didn't know what trouble trucks are and lost control of the trucks and they push him down a hill. Thomas was barely able to stop before some buffers, preventing a nasty accident. The Fat Controller appeared and advised Thomas that he should learn more about trucks if he is to become a Really Useful Engine.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Tidmouth Sheds
- Henry's Tunnel
- Gordon's Hill
- This episode is based on the story of the same name from The Railway Series book, Thomas the Tank Engine.
- Stock footage from Thomas' Train Edward and Gordon is used.
- At the beginning, Gordon is in the middle of the shed with Thomas and Henry to the left and James and Edward to the right, but in the close-ups, Thomas is in the middle, Gordon and James are on one side, and Edward and Henry are on the other.
- Edward was said to feel sorry for Thomas, but just before he looked as annoyed as the others.
- The narrator says that the guard blew his whistle, but the guard was holding a green flag.
- When Thomas rushes through Elsbridge, the left-hand track stops dead.
- When Thomas arranges his train, no shunter can be seen.
- One of the trucks has glue smeared over its face.
- When Thomas backs out of the siding, his wheels slip and the goods coach jolts.
- In the close-ups of the trucks, Thomas is only pulling one truck.
- When Thomas comes out of Henry's Tunnel, he loses a truck.
- Thomas' trucks are constantly changing throughout his journey.
- There is a shot of a truck facing backwards, but as scenery flies by, Thomas is going in the opposite direction.
- When Thomas opens his eyes, his face is slightly crooked and his eyes are wonky.
- James appears briefly, but he isn't introduced until Thomas and the Breakdown Train.