template tweaks Edit
Not all all. You can edit all you want! -Inquisitor
im following your guide to download AA.
but it will not let me change the first location at all
I have three options to choose from:
none of these choices offer a space to change the download location....
The Love Girl miniwiki Edit
Hi InquisitorNik!! I am one of Scrathpad’s two new Administrators. (The other one is User:PlasmaTime.) I have been trying to figure out who the editor most reponsible for the Love Girl miniwiki is. When I look at revision histories, most of the edits are made by IP-only editors. However, your username shows up more than any other, which is why I am here on your talkpage. Wikia Staff would like us to move the Love Girl miniwiki to its own wiki at, say, lovegirl.wikia.com. This is because its adult nature does not quite mesh with Wikia’s intentions for Scratchpad. I would like to help in that migration as soon as you’re ready to get started. Thanks! — SpikeToronto 16:09, May 29, 2012 (UTC)
- Please respond to this message. Or, we will have to unlaterally move and/or delete all the IllusionGames material. Thank you. — SpikeToronto 04:45, June 8, 2012 (UTC)
- Hi SpikeToronto
- I'm sorry if this is not the right way to respond, but I'm not used to communicate via a talk on a wiki. That's also the reason for my late reply, because I didn't realize that it was important the first time you wrote on my talk page. I now realize the seriousness of the matter and you have my full attention.
- I am probably the one that you want to talk to, because I have the most ownership of the wiki's in question.
- I am fine with moving one or more of the IllusionGames wiki's to a different address if we can just leave a link on the moved pages to the new location. These wiki's are linked from many places, so it would be sad if all those links were broken.
- --Inquisitor 05:49, June 8, 2012 (UTC)
- Is that assumption correct?
- What about the old pages - is it possible to put a link to the new location?
- --Inquisitor 10:38, June 8, 2012 (UTC)
I will have to speak to Staff. I know that there is a way to have the pages here at Scratchpad redirect to the new wiki. There are some old examples of it. But, I think it can only be done by Staff. I’ll get back to you. Thanks! — SpikeToronto 10:45, June 8, 2012 (UTC)
P.S. Please respond here. It is customary in the wikiverse to keep all threads together. Thus, since it was started here, all of it is here. Were it started on my talkpage, all of it would be there. Thanks! :-) — SpikeToronto 10:45, June 8, 2012 (UTC)
- Sorry about replying on your talk page! I have never really used wiki Talk pages before, so I hope this edit works and you get a notification of my reply. If it works it's definitely not a particularly conventional way of discussing. ;) Anyway, please just let me know when/if you'd like me to do something. Thanks! --Inquisitor 11:00, June 8, 2012 (UTC)
- Got your message! (I receive notifications by email because this talkpage is on my watchlist (i.e., is “followed”).) Sure it’s conventional. It’s the wiki way! It’s impossible to follow a thread if it’s spread across two pages. Plus, my page is busier than yours. So, when I archive it, the other half of the convo will be even more difficult to find. Thanks! — SpikeToronto 11:11, June 8, 2012 (UTC)
Inquisitor, I need you to go ahead and create the Illusion Games Wiki. Until you create it, we cannot move pages to it. And you need to create it so that you are its Founder. To create it, do the following:
- Press this button:
- Where it says, Name your wiki,
- Enter the name you want
- For example: Illusion Games
- Where it says, Give your wiki an address
- enter illusiongames
- which produces illusiongames.wikia.com
- Thank you. I have discussed this with fellow modders on our IRC channel and it was suggested to make one subdomain for the h-games (IllusionGames, TeatimeGames, InterheartGames and maybe more in the future). Someone suggested hgames.wikia.com, but then we checked and it's already taken. It seems to be only a stub more or less and has not been worked on since February, but it basically has all the same major categories that we had in mind. I have therefore used the Talk page of the author, TF, and asked him what the purpose of the wiki is and if we should merge it. What is your thoughts about this? What does it mean to be the Founder? I would be reluctant to move all the wiki's if I one day found that I/we couldn't edit them because the founder decided so. Then we'd probably rather prefer a new subdomain, for instance hentaigames.wikia.com with me as Founder, because I would never do such a thing because I believe in collaboration. Thanks in advance for your advice. --Inquisitor 09:42, June 10, 2012 (UTC)
- The Founder (creator of the wiki) is User:Hodnett
- He created the wiki on October 10, 2012.
- He has never made an edit, not a single one that I can see.
- The only other contributor: User:TF
- Total edits: 5
- Last edit: February 2, 2011
- He is neither Bureaucrat nor Administrator at the wiki
- It seems like I got it! :) What is the next step? --Inquisitor 10:30, June 20, 2012 (UTC)
- We can begin anytime. Did you clear that we can leave a stub page with a link to the new location? We hope so, because otherwise the move would break hundreds of links. We would like to start on the IllusionGames category and then move on to the InterheartGames and then finally the TeatimeGames. Let me know what you'd like me to do and when. Thanks! --Inquisitor 16:13, July 2, 2012 (UTC)
- Hi. Sorry for the delays. I’d like to do this with you this week. I think the best way is for us to use the WikiaChat (Special:Chat) here at Scratchpad, so I can walk you through the first few transfers step-by-step. When would you be available? Thanks! — SpikeToronto 06:30, July 23, 2012 (UTC)
Migration from mini-wiki to full wiki Edit
Hi Nik. The process is a fairly basic, yet multi-step one.
- Use Special:Export to gather up the pages to me moved to the new wiki
- At the new wiki, use Special:Import to load the pages
- Back at Scratchpad, on each page moved to the new wiki, replace the contents with a redirect to the new page at the new wiki
<pagename>is the name of the page on the target wiki.
- It's not working. Exporting seems to go fine, but when importing "there are no pages to import". I've tried a whole category including history and templates and just a single pages including history and templates. I have also tried to add you to the administrators on hgames, but I cannot add new users. I have previously added WarriorOfJustice to the administrators so there must be something broken or what? Inquisitor (talk) 14:53, July 30, 2012 (UTC)
- I should've checked this beforehand. The two wikis are running incompatible versions of the MediaWikia software. Scratchpad is running 1.19, while HGAMES is running 1.16.5. Special:Import is not backwards compatible. Like you, I discovered this the hard way when attempting to bring over pages from Wikipedia (1.19) to an at-that-time 1.16.5 version wiki here at Wikia. Because HGAMES only has three pages on it, and almost zero traffic, it will be towards the bottom of the priority list for conversion from 1.16.5 to 1.19. When I am next on Skype (cannot run on my iPad, which I am using at this moment), I will ask Wikia Staff if they can bump HGAMES up the list. In the meantime, sadly, we wait. Sorry. — SpikeToronto 07:06, July 31, 2012 (UTC)
- I see. Thanks for letting me know. I will keep an eye out for it! Inquisitor (talk) 13:44, July 31, 2012 (UTC)
- I have tried editing this page several times the last week, but something has broken. Editing no longer works for me in Firefox (it just shows "Loading editor" forever) and I had to resort to Chrome to make this edit. I prefer using Firefox, so I'll wait a while and see if it get's fixed before making any edits. Inquisitor (talk) 14:11, August 29, 2012 (UTC)
- It seems to work now! I'll look into it some more and let you know. Inquisitor (talk) 14:15, August 31, 2012 (UTC)
Special:Importdoes not bring the images along with the pages. This is most likely an intentional failsafe related to licencing. As far as I know, the only way to do it is to save each image to your hard drive, then use w:c:hgames:Special:MultipleUpload to upload several at a time. Hope this helps! — SpikeToronto 12:31, September 1, 2012 (UTC)
- omg, that's many, many hours of work on the dozens of wiki's! Sorry, but I don't have the time or the patience to do that. We have to find another way. We also lost all the history in the export, which is not great. I know for a fact that MediaWiki can be copied on a deeper level. Can we please ask the system admins to move the wiki's for us, so we can at least get the images moved as well? Thanks in advance! Inquisitor (talk) 05:40, September 2, 2012 (UTC)
You lost the page history because you forgot to untick the box at Special:Export labelled Include only the current revision, not the full history. You have to leave that box unchecked to get all revisions. You can always repeat the process. As for the images, I have been checking with more experienced users and Staff to find a way to get them over more easily. Are they all in specific categories? If they are categorized, it might make a batch transfer easier. — SpikeToronto 08:57, September 5, 2012 (UTC)
- Yes, they are all within categories, so that gives me some hope at least. I should have known about the history! Is it possible to delete a whole category, so that I can redo the export and import? I started with the IllusionGames category, so it's a lot of pages. btw, I have discussed the move with other contributors and we're all hoping for a solution to the missing images and we look forward to start working on the new wiki! Thank you for your assistance. Inquisitor (talk) 15:14, September 5, 2012 (UTC)
- You do not need to delete. You can just do the import over the one you already did. All that will happen is that the earlier revisions will be added to each page. Do note that your export/import file will be larger, so the process will be slower than it was when you only brought over the latest revision for each page. I’ll get back to you on the images. — SpikeToronto 15:24, September 5, 2012 (UTC)
Migrating images to new wiki Edit
Hi Nik! Staff have a bot that can migrate all your images from this wiki to the new one. But, all of your images must have a unique category. The bot will then use that category to pluck them from the wiki. So, all your images have to have it, and images that are not yours must not have it. Get back to me on this. Thanks! — SpikeToronto 16:59, October 5, 2012 (UTC)
- Spike, that's really great news. We've been wondering what was going on with this. We'll look into it and get back to you asap. Inquisitor (talk) 19:27, October 5, 2012 (UTC)
- I have posted about it in our modding discussion and I had hoped that we could make it a team effort to check the image categories before porting, but nobody has replied yet. I will have some time this weekend and I'll do it myself if I have to. Thank you for your patience. btw, I suppose that you want to move the IllusionGames category as the first one, right? Inquisitor (talk) 09:59, October 17, 2012 (UTC)
- Unfortunately not. But what kind of programme would that be? Inquisitor (talk) 15:37, October 18, 2012 (UTC)
- Another question: How do I view the image category and how do I edit it manually? For instance this one: http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/File:Home.png#file Inquisitor (talk) 15:44, October 18, 2012 (UTC)
- I found out how to view/edit. I'm editing the categories now.Inquisitor (talk) 13:22, October 21, 2012 (UTC)
- Phew, I'm finally done categorizing all images in all wikis in the IllusionGames category. Please copy all images from the following categories: IllusionGames, @HomeMate, Hako, School Mate 1. IllusionGames is the biggest category (and the one with the Love Girl game). When we have successfully copied it we can do the remaining lesser H game categories. Thank you in advance! Inquisitor (talk) 21:09, October 21, 2012 (UTC)
- I’ll pass it along to the Staffer who’s going to move the images. As I understand it, at this time, the image categories that are ready are:
- Those categories also contain article pages too, right? If so, Staff will have to work only with those items at the intersection of both the File: namespace and those categories. Thanks! — SpikeToronto 06:42, October 23, 2012 (UTC)
- I have another problem now: I have just now tried to export and import the IllusionGames category with version information and the export completes without errors (tried it twice ending up with the same file size), but when importing I get: "Import failed: Loss of session data. Please try again.". I have tried it three times with different files. I am exporting the IllusionGames category from here: http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Export and importing from here http://hgames.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Import. Any advice would be much appreciated! Inquisitor (talk) 21:45, October 21, 2012 (UTC)
- Done. Thanks in advance! Inquisitor (talk) 07:59, October 23, 2012 (UTC)
I’ll go try it now. By the way, has export/import by category been working for you up until now? Don’t forget to check out the other part of this edit. — SpikeToronto 08:08, October 23, 2012 (UTC)
UPDATE1: Well, I exported the category. It created an .xml file of about 111MB. Then I tried to Special:Import the file over at HGames and all it would do is spin and spin. Now, my file was so large because I was trying to do all versions. That’s what you wanted, right? Thanks! — SpikeToronto 08:34, October 23, 2012 (UTC)
UPDATE2: I just tried it using only the latest revision of each item in Category:IllusionGames and it worked fine. Of course, the image files didn’t go over, but we already expected that. — SpikeToronto 08:54, October 23, 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks, but I already managed to import it without history a while back, but I would like to get all the versions, so that we can see who did what and can roll back in case of vandalism. When exporting I also got a file of about 110MB and importing with a reasonably fast upload (4Mb) in Chrome I could see the MB ticking up in a relative steady frequency (a good sign), but when it reached the end of the file it came up with that error. I could try it in FF and see if it's different. Inquisitor (talk) 09:58, October 23, 2012 (UTC)
- Just tried it in FF and got the same message: "Import failed: Loss of session data. Please try again.". Inquisitor (talk) 10:10, October 23, 2012 (UTC)
- I’ve just been informed that there is a 10MB import limit. So, you have to somehow break that file into eleven smaller ones. But, just having the latest versions only over at HGames isn’t the end of the world. Remember that all of the revisions will still be here at Scratchpad because all the pages will still be here, only converted to redirects. And, if a page should ever be deleted, it can be undeleted by me, another admin, or a staffmember. — SpikeToronto 14:36, October 23, 2012 (UTC)
- You have a good point about the versions and I will not pursue it any more. I hereby confirm that the four categories you listed are the ones with all the images in the IllusionGames category. I look forward to the images being copied and then we can finally make the redirects and start working on hgames for real. Thanks for all your assistance already - we appreciate you helping us out moving it all to a better place. :) Inquisitor (talk) 20:04, October 23, 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks, Nik. The fellow who’ll be doing it was in the middle of exams. Now that he’s returned, he’s working through his Wikia backlog. We just have to be patient, especially since he will be doing us a great favor. On another note, have you completed the project of turning all your pages here into redirects to the corresponding pages at Hgames Wiki? Thanks! — SpikeToronto 08:57, November 17, 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks for checking up on it and please convey our thanks to the fellow doing us a great favour. :) I haven't started on making the redirects yet because I was waiting for the images to get moved. I had also hoped that you'd help us out making the redirects once everything had been moved... ^^ I guess we could do it by simply amending the individual game templates to redirect to the new loaction, but that would only enable us to redirect to the main page of that particular game from a given sub page. Maybe you can share some tips on how to make it even smarter? Thanks again! Inquisitor (talk) 16:35, November 18, 2012 (UTC)
Image migration complete Edit
Done Good news Nik! All of your images got copied to w:c:hgames a few days ago. These are the categories that got transferred:
Please check to see that the migration is complete.
Also, a few of your images had already been deleted (e.g., File:Sex1.png) by Staff. I suggest that, if/when you restore them over at Hgames, you use names that are less likely to get caught by various adult filters. Let me know if you need any help with the deleted images.
Finally, I would like to begin the process of re-directing all of your pages here at Scratchpad to their same-name, corresponding pages at Hgames. I will be using a bot to to do this. From you I need a list of all the categories whose pages are to be redirected.
- Awesome job, Spike! I have tested it and it looks great. It doesn't matter that a few images got lost in transit - we'll manage if they were essential. We are all very thankful for all the help you and the staff has provided! It's a great leap forward for us and our commitment to and confidence in Wikia is reinforced.
- Regarding the redirection: It's all the pages in the categories you've listed above. Regarding the latest edits: Should I re-imported all the pages to make sure that they have the latest edits?
- Regarding the plan ahead: There are many other H game wikis (with potential adult-ish content) that we are behind. These categories: TeatimeGames, INTERHEARTGames, KissGames. Should those be moved as well? If yes, can we ask you to assist us with any images if we make sure they are categorized? And when all have been moved could you run your nifty little bot to make redirects? ^^ Inquisitor (talk) 19:50, January 17, 2013 (UTC)
- Glad you’re pleased. Sorry it took so long. There were technical issues with the tool needed to copy the images. You should Special:Export/Special:Import your pages again so that they are up to date over at the Hgames Wiki. As for the other Hgames material here on Scratchpad, I was unaware that there were any other of your mini-wikis here. I thought that all of your material had been moved over. We are going to have to repeat the procedure again, unfortunately. Can you provide me a list of the additional categories? Thanks! — SpikeToronto 08:14, January 18, 2013 (UTC)
- I have re-imported all the above categories, so you can go ahead with the redirection. I will let the community know that we should use the new wiki for the related categories as soon as you have made the redirects (please let me know). Next step is the remaining wiki categories (also many wiki pages), which I have to go through and make sure that all images have a category. I'll get to work when the above is done. Inquisitor (talk) 18:30, January 18, 2013 (UTC)
Hey Nik! For the pages that are already over at Hgames, you guys should stop editing the version here at SP. Consider them closed. The reason is, once I set up the redirect, it is almost impossible for you to view the page let alone re-export/import it. Regarding those other pages here at SP that you will still be editing here, those that belong to other as-yet-to-be-transferred mini-wikis, they should not have the same categories as any of the pages and images already over at Hgames. You can always fix the categories over at Hgames after they are transferred. I can even help you with AWB. I need to use the categories already transferred in order to create the re-directs. AWB uses those categories to build its list of pages to be redirected. Therefore, the only things in those categories have to be pages already transferred because every page within those categories will be re-directed. AWB will replace the text with the redirect and replace all the categorization with a new category indicating a migrated wiki. I know this is all confusing. We could meet in Scratchpad’s chatroom — Special:Chat — and I could clarify for you before anything irreversible is done. Just tell me when. — SpikeToronto 23:36, January 18, 2013 (UTC)
P.S. Alternatively, I could do nothing until you have exported/imported everything over. (Everything means every single page/article that has been moved and is still to be moved.) We should discuss a plan of attack. If I may ask, what timezone are you in? Thanks! — SpikeToronto 23:38, January 18, 2013 (UTC)
- Sorry for the late response, I've been away+busy. I think you should just go ahead on the redirection of the categories above. I understand that any edits made since the last export/import will be lost. I hope that you can do it soon (i.e. now) because there's a new game coming out tomorrow (in the IllusionGames category) and we don't want anybody creating/editing an IllusionGames wiki in SP!! The other categories will be business as usual until we have added a category to all the images (omg). Any tips or assistance on adding a category to uncategorized images would be more than welcome! Thanks again for all your help! Inquisitor (talk) 15:02, January 24, 2013 (UTC)
- That's great, Spike. I already listed the categories above. Please let me know when you've completed the redirect's! Inquisitor (talk) 21:31, March 21, 2013 (UTC)
Yeah Nik, I know you have. I just wanted you to confirm again because once a page is redirected off-wiki, it is very hard to undo it. This is my list:
- Agreed. Thanks again. Inquisitor (talk) 22:35, March 22, 2013 (UTC)
- Nik, everything’s redirected. You can go look at each of those four categories and see every page is italicized, indicating a redirect. Now, we’d like to delete all of the images in those four categories — and any others I might not know about. Please discuss. Thanks! — SpikeToronto 07:48, March 24, 2013 (UTC)
Convenience break Edit
Thanks for making the redirects. It seems to be working fine. I don't know anything about the VH wiki, but it seems to be using the same templates as our wiki's, so it's likely that it has been created by someone from our community. Would you like me to investigate further, so that it too can maybe be moved to the hgames wiki? Inquisitor (talk) 16:31, March 26, 2013 (UTC)
- Yes, you may delete the images in the above four categories. I have investigated and found that the VH wiki is part of our community and I have asked them if they want to move to the hgames wiki. We are currently categorizing images in the rest of the h games wiki's and we will let you know the remaining categories (probably including the VH wiki) when we are done. Once again, thanks a lot for you assistance on this matter. It's great that we get all the h games wiki's "under one roof" and you are helping us with the images and redirects. :) Inquisitor (talk) 07:40, March 28, 2013 (UTC)
- We are now done with the other H games wiki's. Phew, this was a lot of work editing all the pages and images, making sure they have a category! These are the categories:
- There are a lot of images and we're hoping that we can repeat the exercise: You copy all the images over, we then import the categories and then you make redirects. This will ensure that there are no wiki's with adult(ish) content (that our community is involved in) on scratchpad. Thank you in advance! Inquisitor (talk) 11:30, March 28, 2013 (UTC)
- UPDATE: We've got the VH guys to categorize their images as well, so we can now move the Violated Heroine wiki from scratchpad as well. :) Please add this category to the four categories above:
- There's no rush for us regarding this. It's up to you when you want to do it. Just let us know when the images has been copied and then we will export the wiki's and import them to hgames and let you know, so you can make the redirects. The redirects will conclude the support we need from you. :) Inquisitor (talk) 12:23, April 1, 2013 (UTC)